The morning after

Start from the beginning

Jake was looking in the opposite direction when I got out.

"Sir, shall we start now?" The unknown guy asked Jake while pointing in my direction.

Jake turned around with a bright smile and extended his hand to me. I took his hand and stood by his side.

"Thanks, Brett. Take us to Emma's cottage first, then we head to the airport".

"So, you are Brett? I wanted to thank you for saving my life. I am so grateful for all your help. I really am." I told him warmly, meaning every word I said.

"No problem at all, it's my job, Miss." His words and tone were both professional.

"Emma. You can call me Emma." I extended my hand for a shake. Brett shook my hand while giving yet another professional nod.

"Let's keep it at Ms Carter for you, Brett." Suddenly Jake's arms snaked around my waist and pulled me closer.

"Noted, Sir." Brett went ahead and opened the car's door, "Ms Carter" he gestured me to sit in the car while Jake went around and entered from the other side.

As he entered and sat close to me, I gave Jake a curious look, "Ms Carter? Really Jake?" I slowly whispered in his ear, making sure Brett doesn't listen.

"Yes, you didn't like it? Do you prefer Madam or Miss? I can ask him to call you more respectfully, whatever you like." He had a sarcastic smile on his face.

I just rolled my eyes at his childlike possessiveness and started to look outside the window, appreciating the beauty of the island we were in.

Jake wrapped his arms around my shoulder and moved to sit closer to me. The moment he did, I felt extremely relaxed. My heart bounced in joy.

He was my happy place. I held his hand on my shoulder and interlocked his fingers with mine.

***

"Hello, Jacob. Everything is ready. The weather is a bit rainy, but the air traffic control has cleared us to fly. We can take off as soon as you are ready." A man in his mid-fifties told Jake as he took his business suitcase from Brett and passed it to the steward standing behind him.

"Thanks, Augustin. Let's start without any further delay. I have a crucial meeting to attend tomorrow morning". Jake gave him a small smile.

As Augustin was heading inside, Jake called him from behind, "by the way. This is Emma." Jake pointed at me while his other hand was placed at the small of my back.

"I thought so. Who else could she be? I am so glad to finally meet you. I have heard a lot about you." Augustin gave me an approving look and extended his hand in my direction.

I took his hand to reciprocate the gesture with a friendly smile. "Emma, this is Augustin. The head of my family's security detail but also a close friend, mentor, confidante. Whatever you would like to call him." Warmth and adoration were evident in Jake's tone.

I remembered Aunt Amy's words. So Jake visited that small cafe with Augustin? He must be very close to him.

"I am pleased to meet you too, Augustin," I stated politely.

We all headed inside the plane, and the moment I entered, I was enthralled by the luxurious interiors. It was my first time in a private jet, and I didn't expect it to be so extravagant. There were many sections, Jake and I got seated in a deluxe cabin while everybody else seemed to be in the cabins at the back.

We were now seated on the comfortable sofa-like seats as the plane took off. The moment we took off, Jake took out his laptop and started working. Soon, his skype and phone were buzzing with back to back calls.