"It's a pleasure to meet you too sir," said Izuku in a respectful but warry manner. Why had All Might sent this man to see him? and why did he know about his meeting with All Might on the rooftop? "Um, if you don't mind me asking. How do you know about the time I spent with All Might on the roof?" asked Izuku as he sat down on a chair facing Naomasa from the other side of the table.

"Straight to the point huh? Well first, I am required to inform you that my quirk has the ability to detect lies. Just a heads up, secondly, I know because All Might informed me himself. I am one of the very few people that know his secret you see. We have known each other since he came back to Japan after training in America." Replied Naomasa.

A quirk that could detect lies? no wonder he was a detective, a quirk like that would never work in heroics but as a detective, it would have been a godsend.

"..."

"his quirk wouldn't work in heroics, but in interrogation it's invaluable. That means he doesn't have a power type quirk then... But.... he's still connected so closely to someone as powerful as All Might..."   The thought shot through Izuku like a bolt of lightning, here was a man who was in actuality no stronger than a normal quirkless human, with a quirk with a very specific skill set. The shock of meeting someone with a quirk but still being so similar to him was striking. "Perhaps what All Might said about Law Enforcement wasn't just empty words..."

The entire time it took Izuku to think of this, Naomasa simply sat and waited. Waited and watched both amused and a little disturbed as a stream of constant muttering streamed out of the boy's mouth, so softly and quickly he couldn't catch a word of it.

Eventually, though, Izuku realized what he was doing and jumped. "I- I'm sorry! I probably freaked you out or something... everyone always says I have a problem with uncontrollable muttering... haha..." he said laughing a little to try and calm his nerves as he scratched the back of his head.

It was at that moment, that his mother came back with 3 cups of tea. She placed them in front of Izuku and Naomasa and sat down beside Izuku with her own cup.

"So, Mr. Naomasa why are you here? Is Izuku in trouble?" she started saying, clearly nervous and still fretting over Izuku.

"No, I can assure you Izuku isn't in any sort of trouble. I came at the behest of All Might actually."

Naomasa then held up two fingers and continued. "Firstly, he wanted me to send you his apologies for what he said on the roof. It was insensitive of him. He would have come himself, but as you know his "condition" can lead to some nasty side-effects." Said Naomasa with an apologetic smile.

Izuku felt a bit better knowing that All Might really did regret his words, even if they had been brutally honest. But sometimes brutal honesty is what a person needs to help move on. He was pulled from his thoughts by Naomasa continuing.

"Secondly, he wanted me to offer you a deal. You can't be a hero, being quirkless means you wouldn't even manage to get an application through to even attempt the entrance exam, to begin with. This, however, is where I come in. You can't go to a school for "heroes". Said Naomasa miming air-quotes.

"But you don't have to be a literal hero, to be a true hero. He meant what he said about Law Enforcement, he wants you to consider it. He thinks your heart is in the right place, but you just haven't been guided in a way that suits your particular needs. So instead, he wanted me to offer you the chance to go to the Musutafu Police Academy." He finished with a wide bright smile.

"... huh?" Izuku wasn't sure he had heard right, surely, he hadn't just been offered a chance to become a police officer.

"Izuku Midoriya," said Naomasa standing up and extending his hand. "You can't be a hero, but you can BECOME a hero, but only if you willing to make that choice and commit yourself fully to it." Naomasa was still smiling, but a hardness had come over his face, and his eyes seemed to pierce through Izuku. A jovial smile but eyes that cut through him like a hot knife through butter, appraising him and judging him.

Izuku sat staring for only a couple of seconds before his brain clicked back into place. His face took an expression of pure determination. Yes, this was the moment that his entire life would pivot on. He reached out a hand towards Naomasa's, a hand towards what he hadn't had in many years if he was being honest. He reached out his hand and clasped Naomasa's, he grabbed hold of that hope and swore to never let go. If All Might thought he could, then he would, this was his only chance and he wasn't going to miss it for the world.

_________________________________________________________________

Izuku shook himself from his reverie. He hadn't thought of that day in a long time, not surprising that he recalled it today though. Everything about his past was so much more vivid on the day of his mother's death. He sighed and crawled into his bed, he turned off his bedside lamp and closed his eyes. He needed to sleep if he was going to work tonight, he could have skipped work of course. His boss would have understood, but it would eat at him if he let his boss work all night alone. He took off enough nights as it was. So, with a final contended sigh as the warmth of the blanket enveloped him, he drifted off into that wild wonderland of dreams.