Chapter 39: Operation Kiso

Izuku stood in front of Mufustafu Police Headquarters, just staring at the building. The new building was impressive, built more like a fortress complex than your run-of-the-mill police station. It was an imposing sight, standing four stories tall, the reinforced concrete had a surprising number of windows considering it was made as a fortress to help keep UA safe during the war. Izuku knew though, from his own research that every window was reinforced and bulletproof unless it was hit by an enormous amount of punishment, the building would survive most catastrophes that both nature and man could throw at it. The front, however, was a stark reminder of the battle that had been waged at its gates recently. Scorch marks, bullet damage, and a variety of other damages caused by a multitude of quirks made the front look like an abandoned wreck. The stream of workers, police personnel, and the occasional hero however made it feel anything but.

Izuku heaved a sigh and adjusted the backpack he had, then he strode into the building. He approached the front desk, or what remained of it, and waited while a haggard secretary finished a conversation.

When the conversation ended the secretary sat down in their seat. "Welcome to Mufustafu Police Headquarters, what can I do for you?" he said automatically, making a few inputs into his laptop, not even looking at Izuku.

"I'm here for a briefing," Izuku said simply.

"Name?" asked the secretary, actually looking Izuku over while making another series of inputs.

"Izuku Midoriya."

The secretary made a few inputs, then after studying the screen turned to Izuku again.

"Conference Room 6, first floor," he said, pointing down a hallway to Izuku's right.

Izuku thanked the man and started down the hallway, avoiding getting in the way of repairmen and bustling employees. Eventually, Izuku got to the end of the hallway and made his way up the staircase. When he came out onto the first floor, he saw some damage by the door and halfway up the hallway along the walls, floor, and ceiling. However, the damage quickly faded out and the rest of the building started to look relatively untouched. He made his way down the hallway, and after a few minutes of searching came to the conference room he had been directed to.

He entered and saw a small group of people assembled inside. He immediately noticed Ahmya, who was with a group of other people, likely her squad. On the other end of the relatively small table sat Sōchō Arinobu and another man he recognized to be Major-General Genryusai the commander-in-chief of the QSU.

Izuku immediately went to attention, giving a salute he announced himself.

"Heichō Izuku reporting."

Everyone in the room turned their attention to him, and he saw a few of Ahmya's squadmates glaring at him, but most held curiosity. None held any sort of hostility in their gazes that he could detect, which helped him relax some.

"At ease, you're right on time. Take a seat." Said Genryusai, gesturing to the table.

As Izuku made his way to an empty seat, Ahmya pointedly walked around the table to sit next to him. Izuku was grateful that he wouldn't be alone on one side of the table. Everyone else quickly sat down as well and Arinobu handed Izuku a manilla folder that was quite full, before returning to his own seat next to Genryusai.

"You're probably wondering why I'm here of all people." Said Genryusai, leaning back in his chair and staring at Izuku, as if daring him to speak.

"As it turns out, we can't reinstate people back into the QSU without myself or a senior officer approving it first. I just happened to be closest at the time Arinobu called in about getting you reinstated. Besides, I've been meaning to talk to Police Chief Naomasa and Principal Nezu, so you made a perfect excuse." He said, waving his hand, dismissing Izuku's unspoken curiosity.