Chapter 27: A Day In

As everyone started to file out of the room following the end of the debrief, Katsuki Bakugo got up and approached Dr. Okimi as she gathered up her medical documents.

"Hm? Is there something I can help you with Mr. Katsuki?" she asked when she saw him approach.

"I wanted to know the cause of death of Aria Lin, you didn't cover it when you started going over the medical reports." He said.

"Well, that would be because the autopsy isn't complete yet. The pathologist was supposed to be coming in this morning, but he hadn't arrived by the time I left for the meeting. If you like, you can accompany me to the hospital and see if he's there or not."

"Tch, fine," he grumbled as they left the room.

As they were walking Bakugo noticed that the Doctor was squinting a lot as if the sun was constantly in her eyes. He was relatively sure she didn't need glasses and when they finally got outside she actually hissed in pain and fumbled trying to put on a pair of sunglasses with oddly colored and shaped lenses. When they got to her vehicle, she sighed and looked up at him.

"I hate to ask, but could you drive for me? I'm having too many difficulties seeing at the moment." She said, sounding resigned.

Bakugo grumbled a bit but he took the keys and a minute later they were driving down the road to the hospital.

"I'm sorry to bother you like this, but my quirk damages my eyesight after prolonged use. When I absorb light to refill my well of light,  my eyes start to lose the ability to absorb light for a few hours. When I expend a large amount of power though, my eyes start absorbing too much light and I need these sunglasses just to function. It builds up and then fades over the course of a few hours to a few days depending on how much energy I expend, and I had to use a lot to heal everyone that came in following your raid. My eyes should be back to normal come tomorrow afternoon though." She told him.

He didn't say anything, just grunted, but he had been curious about it. Neither of them said much for the remainder of the drive, Dr. Okimi seemed to be engrossed in the medical reports and he didn't feel the need to break the silence with meaningless small talk. 

When they finally got to the hospital, it took about a half-hour for Dr, Okimi to get ahold of the pathologist as he had been in the middle of wrapping up an autopsy. Eventually, Bakugo had the chance to talk with him for a few minutes before he had to get back to work.

They sat down in chairs while the pathologist sipped at a cup of coffee, he was quite diminutive, only about a meter tall, thin, balding, and he wore a pair of thoroughly battered glasses that he must have had for several decades given the wear.

"Dr. Okimi said you wanted to talk to me about a recent autopsy, if it is about any of the ones I'm conducting today then I might not have gotten to it yet. It would be better to wait until it is all a matter of public records rather than bother me about it now" He said frowning

"You do an autopsy on Aria Lin yet? Red-haired, lots of scars?" he asked, ignoring the man's complaint.

"She was the first one I was asked to do, so yes I have. What do you want to know?" He said, his frown deepening as he cast his mind back to the morning.

"What was her cause of death?"

"Cause of death huh... hmmmmm... If I recall, I believe I listed it as simultaneous multiple organ rupturing, followed by rapid cellular death across the entire body. I was asked to be as detailed as possible, so from what I can surmise about the events leading up to her death, it's more than likely that her external body was directly linked to her internal body. When the entire body was blown to pieces, the shock was so severe that the feedback caused almost every organ to rupture at once and every sense to fail, which is why her eyes appear to be blind. The body tried to repair itself afterward, but the damage was far too severe, and not enough energy was available to dedicate to it anyways. Only the brain and muscles remained intact but the muscles started to degenerate from the inside out. The entire body started to collapse in on itself following her death, and now burial is out of the question given its state. Cremation will be the only viable method of internment." He listed off, taking a break to drink from his coffee now and then.