forty-one

grayson:

"don't leave angry," i plead, gently grabbing her arm to stop her from walking out my door.

"i'm not angry, grayson," elizabeth laughs. "i just have to go to work. thursdays are night shifts, remember?"

i sigh. "promise me you'll come back after your shift?"

"you're going to be asleep, babe," she smiles sadly, focusing her attention on my hair as she picks something from it.

"i don't care. i just want to wake up with you tomorrow."

"why? obsessed with me or something?" she teases.

"just come back here after, and i'll make sure to leave the door unlocked," i roll my eyes, hiding an embarrassed smile.

"fine," she agrees. "don't wait up, okay?"

"i'm tired, anyway, so i won't."

she laughs before slipping out the door.

i sigh before heading to my room and sitting on my bed. the night sky is still pretty light, but it won't be for very long.

the feeling of unsettling nerves takes a pit in my stomach, and i try to ignore it. after all, she's fine. the cafe is just down the road and it's still light out.

ethan is in his room, my mom just called me twenty minutes ago, and my sister is studying right now because she just snap chatted me.

so why am i feeling anxious?

i hover my fingers over elizabeth's contact after a few minutes, but just throw my phone on my bed. she's probably already started her shift, and it would be bad if i called her.

sometimes i'll just get random doses of anxiety, and they always turn out to be nothing.

but this one feels different. i'm not scared necessarily, but something feels off.

i ignore it and crawl into my bed, distracting myself with survival videos and random things that pop up on my recommended page.

even as it gets darker out, i can't shake the feeling.

before i turn off my phone, i check the time. it's only five minutes before elizabeth's shift ends, and then i think i'll be okay.

so i flip to my side, and close my eyes, praying for sleep to come. it doesn't.

but what feels like hours later, i hear the front door open and a weight is lifted off my chest. the feeling in my stomach stays when the steps are quick and light, but they seem like they carry the weight of the world as they near my room.

i keep my head planted on my pillow as my door creaks open and i see elizabeth's shadow.

she sniffles, making me furrow my eyebrows with concern and reach to flip on my lamp light.

"what's wrong?" i ask, squinting to see her face.

it's wet and glowing, and her eyes are red and puffy.

i sit up quickly and she sits down on the bed next to me.

"he found me, gray," she whispers.

"what? who found you?" i ask, my voice growing deep with concern.

she tilts her head at me like it's obvious and says, "my dad."