nine

grayson:

"why're you acting so sketch?" ethan side eyes me as he takes a seat on the couch.

"we need to talk."

"clearly. you've been ignoring me for two days. what's up?"

"i..." i start to talk, but i can't find the words.

"dude just say it."

"elizabeth isn't who you think she is," i blurt.

"açaí elizabeth?" ethan asks, surprisingly unfazed.

"yes. she's—ethan. elizabeth is elizabeth."

"yeah," he rolls his eyes. "i know her name. now i just need her number."

"you don't get it, e."

he rolls his eyes and abruptly stands up from the couch. "grayson, i'm having a hard time here, okay? i've never been rejected like this, and you're not making it any better."

i sigh as i watch him huffily stomp to his room and slam the door. i need to tell him. i need to tell him she's off limits, because there's no way my twin brother is getting her instead of me.

ethan's idea of a romantic night excursion is beer on the balcony at 2 am and then a trip to 7 eleven for slurpees. then he'd make her pay him back.

i would take lizzy to the beach, the place she loves the most. i'd bring a cheese platter and sparkling grape juice. we'd do a canvas painting and then i'd throw her into the water over my shoulder and she'd laugh. we'd—

my daydream is interrupted by a knock on the door, so i swiftly walk to answer it. i'm greeted by a girl who quickly smiles at me.

"hi," she says and holds out her hand. i hesitantly shake it. "i'm bri. is ethan here?"

of course. as soon as he gets frustrated, he calls up a girl to take it out on.

she fiddles with a strand of jet black, curly hair and then attempts to tuck it behind her ear. her melanin skin glows in the australia sun, and i suddenly wish ethan would grow a pair and try to get to know her for real. she's too pretty to just be a booty call.

"yes," i say and open the door wider, allowing her to step in. "in his room. um, have a good... time?"

she immediately throws her head back in laughter and looks at me like i'm crazy. "ethan? me and him? oh god no. i'm here because we're working on a presentation for our web design class. we agreed on this time today but i'm going to guess he forgot?..."

i shrug. "probably. his memory is worse than the goldfish i had when i was seven."

she giggles. "you're funny. what's your name?"

"grayson," i say. "ethan's slightly younger twin."

then, ethan emerges from his room, takes one look at bri, and rolls his eyes.

"so i'm guessing you forgot?" bri asks him, arms crossed.

"no," he states firmly. "i didn't. you flaked. you were supposed to be here an hour ago."

bri scoffs. "i did not flake. damn, ethan. even your own brother is more charming than you."

ethan shoots daggers at me, and i stifle a laugh. "can you leave for a bit, bro?" he asks me, tone quiet and tired.

"of course," i nod and head for the door. i wave at bri, and she gives me a sad smile.