Chapter 15 - The Final Souls

Steven's crippled, weak body slumped to the ground. Spinel's gemstone fell next to him with a clank. White Diamond towered over him. She stared silently at him before bending over and grabbing Spinel's gemstone. As White lifted her hand up, Pearl rushed over to Steven's side.

"Steven!" Pearl cried, kneeling beside him. "Quick, we have to fuse! You'll die!"

"Not so fast, Pearl," White cooed, her gaze intense. She reached down and grabbed Pearl in between her sharpened nails. Pearl screamed in fear as White lifted her away.

"P- Pearl," Steven choked out, powerlessly reaching for Pearl as she was carried away.

White held Pearl right up in front of her face. White Diamond's gaze bore into Pearl as she struggled to get away. "Stop!" Pearl screamed. White's eyes glowed and she shot a white beam at Pearl's gemstone. Pearl struggled and cried out in terror but there was nothing she could do. Pearl's form turned white as White Diamond's power overtook her.

"White, stop!" Garnet spat. "This has gone too far!" Without saying a word, White pointed a finger at Garnet and zapped her. Garnet shrieked in fear and pain as white lines coursed through her body. Garnet blew up into smoke and Ruby and Sapphire's gemstones fell to the floor. 

Blue and Yellow Diamond spread their arms out wide and closed their eyes. Steven watched as White Diamond opened her glowing white eyes and blasted Yellow and Blue with her light. Yellow and Blue Diamond poofed and their gems hit the floor.

"Now, let's bring Pink home!" White cheered, her voice echoing though the room ominously. White set Pearl on the floor, and Pearl turned to White before opening her mouth. Her form was completely whited out. She was being controlled by White Diamond.

Steven tried to speak but he was too weak. White picked up Blue, Yellow, Ruby, Sapphire, and Spinel's gemstones, holding them between her fingers delicately. She then dropped the gemstones into the strange machine. The machine started glowing bright white. White Diamond took the twelve shards in a bubble and placed them at the back of the machine. Steven watched as one by one, a blue, then yellow, then red, then blue, then pink flash of light occurred on the remaining empty shards. Only one was not filled now...

Once the machine had filled the shards with the souls of the new gems, dull, colorless versions of the gems' gemstones fell out of the machine and to the floor. Steven stared at the grayed out heart-shaped gemstone that was usually a part of him. Spinel... No...

White Diamond clapped her hands. "Now, Steven," she said. "Get ready to watch us become whole! Just sit back and watch, our lovely helper will feed the gem to Pearl." Helper? White Diamond then leaned over the machine, flung out her arms, and poofed herself. Her gemstone fell right into the machine. Steven watched in terror as one of the shards flickered white. White Diamond's gemstone then fell out of the machine, no longer white and shiny, but gray and dull.

All twelve shards were filled with the souls now. Maybe Steven could get to them and fuse with Garnet or Amethyst or someone and stop this. He didn't see White's 'helper' anywhere, maybe he had some time. White's power over Pearl, now that White was inside a shard, was gone, and Pearl fell over onto the ground, weak after being controlled. 

"Steven?" she coughed feebly. 

"Pearl, get the shards," Steven was barely able to rasp out. Pearl tried to stand but was too weak. White had taken her toll on her. 

Steven tried to crawl towards the twelve shards sitting on the edge of the machine. Each was softly flickering with the power of those inside them. Then, Steven froze.

"Well... well... well..."