outtake #1: welcome home

"BIENVENUE À LA maison," comes Claudine from the sofa, where she absentmindedly strokes Korosuke in her lap, her gaze concentrated on the glare of the television

The sight warms Maya's heart instantly — it had been about two months since they had moved into the penthouse they share currently (close to a year of living in the same house), but Maya wasn't even close to getting used to coming home to Claudine waiting patiently for her.

"I'm home," Maya smiles softly, hanging her coat on the row of clothes hooks lining the wall first before padding over in her socks to kiss the top of Claudine's head.

"There's dinner on the counter."

Maya hums in acknowledgement, heading to the kitchen and slipping off her socks. She dumps them into the laundry basket near the washing machine in the back and washes her hands in the sink, pleasantly reminded of the rather-peaceful day she had earlier. (a/n: remember to wash your hands with soap, gays)

"How's your day?" Claudine gets up and turns the television off, even though it seemed to be in the midst of one of her favourite shows, while Korosuke hops off her lap and slinks away.

"Decent," Maya exits the kitchen with a little bounce in her step, bringing a few slices of baumkuchen on a plate with her. "Thank you for saving some for me–"

Before she could even nibble off the piece she had on her fork, Claudine had grabbed onto her wrist, her eyes stern and chiding. "Eat your dinner first."

Maya opens her mouth.

"Don't pull that 'I can always have you later, you're a snack' thing again," Claudine cuts her off once more, her eyes narrowing as she tightens her grip on Maya, who's positively amused at this point. "I'm not in the mood, and you've got to change these bad eating habits of yours."

Maya visibly deflates, and Claudine sighs, releasing her hold on Maya's wrist. She gently pries the plate of baumkuchen from Maya's slackened hands, brings it back to the refrigerator, and comes out to usher a still-sulky Maya to the dining table.

"Here," Claudine says with a huff, after Maya was planted firmly into a chair. She sets a bowl of oyakodon — another of Maya's favourites — in front of her.

Maya instantly brightens up (she honestly hadn't noticed it earlier on the counter) and for a second, Claudine feels that Top Star radiance shining from her as Maya picks up the bowl and looks straight at Claudine with a child-like enthusiasm that possessed her entire body.

"Potatoes?"

"Yes," Claudine softens in spite of herself and bends to kiss Maya's forehead. "You can have the baumkuchen later."

Instead of digging in immediately as the gluttonous side of Maya normally would, she stops and stares at Claudine, who felt like she was being undressed right there and then with how ravenous the glint in Maya's eyes was.