08

CHAPTER EIGHT —
                    TWO A.M.

_________________________

MAYA HAD WATCHED that performance countless times. It was the same story, the same feelings; but somehow, it felt different every single time she laid her eyes on that stage.

Her eyes leave her book and focus on the image of Claudine looking out the window, now out of her costume and in a formal black dress that complimented her slim figure, and it somehow brought out the fire in her eyes even more. The blonde's eyes stare at nothing, and Maya wonders what she was thinking about — though by the way her brows were furrowed, she was probably stressing about something. The tour, perhaps.

The last of their Beijing showcases had ended that day, and the entire cast was going to celebrate at China World Hotel. Claudine had been deep in her thoughts since their first performance last week, since she had assured Maya that she would be there for her, and had not spoken much to Maya.

Perhaps Claudine was sweeter now that she gotten the lead, just as she had always wanted.

"We're here." Their chauffeur declared, and Maya promptly opens the door, holding it open for Claudine to step out in all her glory onto the red carpet that had been rolled out.

Maya's glad she was wearing her usual get-up of sunglasses and a face mask as soon as the cameras start flashing, though her cap had to be left behind for this formal event. She could not say the same for Claudine, however, who had to work up a false smile for the press.

Maya closes the car door and bids the chauffeur goodbye, moving to escort Claudine into the hotel. Fortunately, the press was already being controlled by a row of guards, so she did not have to do too much to prevent anybody touching Claudine.

Claudine did not seem to be in the mood for any interviews, either.

The hotel's interior did live up to its reputation. A giant chandelier hung from the ceiling, lighting the concierge with a warm glow, and the fancy furniture that dotted the lobby had an emperor's touch. The hotel staff were waiting to show them the way to one of the banquet halls in their smart uniforms, and Claudine bowed respectfully to each one.

The doors were opened to reveal a display of round, white tables with similar-looking chairs; most of the cast and crew were already there, raising wine glasses and chatting amongst themselves.

Claudine steps into the hall, being used to all this, while Maya swallowed the bile in her throat and follows behind with hesitant footsteps.

She watches the actress shake hands with various people, and their gazes merely glance over Maya — when in another time, they would have regarded her with praise.

But now, without the spotlight, she had nothing to her name.

"Maya-chan!" Maya receives a friendly blow to her arm, and she turns her head a fraction, caught off guard, to see Aruru groaning and holding her hand, in a yellow dress that ended just above her knees, blonde hair flowing freely down her shoulders.

"Geez, you're tough." Aruru whistles, shaking her hand some more before sweeping the room with her gaze. "Quite the turn-up."

Maya nods in agreement, beginning to feel anxious as more and more people filled the room. She didn't like being around people anymore; not when she knew what they'd say and do if they found out she was Tendō Maya.

Claudine gently taps on Maya's arm, distracting her, while waving a hand in greeting to Aruru, "Our seat's there."

Aruru perks up and heads to the table ahead of them, leaving Claudine with Maya. The brunette scans the crowd gathering around their table — an inevitable, giving Aruru's presence.