13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN —
SILENT NIGHT.

_________________________

MAYA HAD BEEN running from herself; this much she knew. It was made even more apparent as she sits in front of Claudine, fidgeting in her seat, trying her best not to look her in the eye. It was nerve-wrecking, to say the least. She did not know what to say — did not know what to do to lift the awkward silence hanging over their table.

The light clink of metal against porcelain caught Maya's attention, and she finally sneaks a small glance up at Claudine, who had set her cutlery neatly down onto her plate, and was regarding Maya with disapproval.

In that moment, Maya sincerely wished that Claudine didn't look as beautiful as she did now. Self-control was slipping out of her hands, and she really did not want to say or do anything that she would sorely regret.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Claudine indicates Maya's plate, and Maya swallows slowly, nodding, picking her cutlery off the neatly-folded white napkin. But even as she plunges her fork into her steak, Maya could feel Claudine's gaze burning holes into her head. Luckily for her, Maya hears Claudine sigh and go back to eating, the atmosphere now coated with a tension that made Maya extremely conscious of everything she did. Every movement, every sound she made against her plate made Maya's stomach sink further and further into itself.

Maybe she should say something before her body disintegrated right there and then.

"I thought you went back to France." Maya hopes that it came out strong; it had honestly sounded better in her head than out of her mouth. She hoped it hadn't sounded too hostile. What was Claudine still doing in Japan, anyhow?

Luckily for her, Claudine did not seem to notice as she continues working her knife through tender meat. "I wanted to stay in Tokyo for a little longer. For old time's sake."

Maya does not miss the way her voice slowly shrinks into itself, like she was trying to hide something.

She hums in reply. "I didn't know that Tsuruhime-san lives here."

"No, she doesn't, but she's planning to move." Claudine replies, a hint of amusement in her voice as she glances at Fumi, who was by the bar taking a sip of some drink while she talked to Akira. "It's a surprise for Fumi, though."

Maya smiles. "I won't tell."

It was oddly nice to see that her subordinates had blossoming lives of their own, but here she was, merely surviving. Maya wonders when she would actually live again — the notion of it was strangely exciting. When will she pull herself out of this empty void? When will she finally bring herself to face her fears and take a step forward? When will she finally let go?

Claudine notices her reflective silence, and Naya hears her chair being dragged closer.

"What's the matter?" Her voice was quiet, low, gentle, her red eyes illuminated by the dimmed lights of the diner, and Maya could not help but flash her a small smile. Claudine was really something else.

"Just thinking," Maya says thoughtfully, lifting her wine glass, which was empty. She was tempted to order some red wine for this occasion, but she didn't know if it would be appropriate. In the first place, was all this a date?