18 | Hold My Hand.

Comincia dall'inizio

He began walking along the shore, pulling me with him. Our feet occasionally being washed over by the gentle waves.

"Why are you still beside me?" he questioned, his voice a small whisper--I almost didn't hear him.

"Huh?"

"Why haven't you left me yet?" he repeated.

My eyes darted to the ground, watching as our feet left prints on the damp sand.

"I don't know."

He stopped in his tracks and turned to look at me, his face glowing in the sun.

"Maybe because I feel different with you," I continued, "I mean, back during the first few days of college I hated you. But now, I don't know. I just feel something different when I'm with you."

He opened his mouth to speak, but I raised my hand, stopping him. "I have a question for you now." I squinted up at him before asking, "Why do you like me?"

He paused, his grip on my hand tightening. "There are many reasons, Ki. And honestly, I don't know how to describe my feelings in words."

You know that feeling you get when something surprising yet amazing happens? The tingly feeling where you feel like floating? Yeah, that was exactly what I felt when those words left his lips.

"Everything. The way you make me feel when you're around me. The way you smile and laugh secretively at my lame jokes. I hate it when you try to hide your face when you laugh . . . it infuriates me you don't know your worth." He sighed. "That's how I feel about you."

I didn't even realize that I was holding my breath until dark spots appeared in my vision. Neither of us said a word. The only sounds that could be heard were the crashing of the waves as they hit the shore with a soft hiss and the gust of the cold onshore breeze as it passed by.

The silence was so awkward that maybe it was making him insane because what he did next was so unexpected.

"Hey!" he screamed against the deafening sound of the wind, "You up for a water fight?"

"Huh?" I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, surprised at the sudden question.

He smirked and dipped his hand into the icy blue-green water and splashed me.

Yes, he drenched me with saltwater.

I gasped and stared down at my soggy t-shirt, speechless.

This was his solution for the awkwardness?!

"Real mature, Hayden. Real mature." I glared at him while he cracked up.

Coldwater was dripping down from my face and hair. And that's when I lost it.

"Take this!" I splashed him back. Though compared to how he drenched me, my hands could only throw little scoops of water at him, sadly.

Foamy water hit his shirt, and a few drops flew on to his tousled hair. He raised his shoulders and looked down at his shirt, where a few spots darkened where the water hit it.

I mean, I knew he was a dumbo, but why on earth did his brain think this was a good idea?

"Kiara, why?!" he whined, "This is a new shirt!"

I gasped, clutching my chest dramatically. "You brought that shirt just for today? Aw!" I gushed.

He chuckled evilly before saying, "Oh, you're gonna get it now, Ki."

He dipped his hands again and spattered me back with nearly a gallon of water.

"Hey, no fair!" I sputtered, wiping my face with my hand. "My hands are too small!"

He stuck his tongue out at me in response. "Just your luck!"

"You!" I fumed and dipped both my hands in the water.

We continued to splash water at each other, our hair and clothes doused by the freezing seawater.

Whoa, two college students. Splashing in the sea. Great way to prove how childish you are. What are you, three?

I was looking away with my eyes closed to prevent the salty water from entering my eyes, so I didn't even notice that he had come closer until he grabbed my wrists and pulled me near him, my head hitting his chest.

I blinked up at him in surprise, uncomfortable at the sudden proximity, trying to wriggle my hands free. He gazed down at me, water dripping down his face.

What is it? Did I splash too much? Did I annoy the hell out of him? Oh God, is he going to yell at me?

My eyes flickered between his eyes nervously, trying to read his expression. It was suddenly so chilly that I began shivering--probably because I was soaked--my lips trembling. And that's when I noticed him stealing a glance at my lips.

 And that's when I noticed him stealing a glance at my lips