15 | Real

Hayden

"Hayden, stop playing with your food," Mom warned me for the second time today.

It was dinnertime, and my family was seated around the polished, wooden table--Mom and the step-dad at either end of the table while I sat facing my sister, Heather.

I scoffed. "I literally told you I have no appetite, but you still forced me to sit at the table. To act as a 'family.'"

"We are a family!" Mom insisted, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Yeah, right. You keep telling yourself that, but we both know that's not true."

The step-dad cleared his throat and calmly set the metal fork and knife on his plate, silencing us both.

"I understand that you don't like me, and I can never replace your dad. But that is no way to speak to your mother, Hayden," he spoke slowly, his voice deep and low.

I glared at him. "Don't speak about my dad with that mouth," I said between gritted teeth.

"Hayden, stop," Heather whispered to me, her eyes flickering around in fear. Fear that yet another loud fight would begin.

"Don't try to stop me, Heather!" I shook my head at her.

"Hayden Donovan!" Mom was almost yelling, "That's enough."

I rolled my eyes and scoffed again. "I'm done with this."

Rising from my chair, I stomped to my room, slamming the door shut behind me. I snatched my controller and was busy playing Overwatch when my phone beeped with a notification.

It was from an unknown number.

Unknown number

Hayden, hi.

It's Chloe.

I sat upright on my bed, going over the text.

Why is she texting me all of a sudden?

Hayden

Oh, hey, Chloe.

Chloe

Are you free tomorrow?

Hayden

Yeah, why?

Chloe

Up for coffee then?

I stilled, rereading the message, unsure of how to respond.

She had never asked me out for coffee.

Hayden

Sure.
Is everything alright?

Chloe

Oh, yeah. I just wanted to meet up with you.

Well, that's weird. Did something happen between Chris and her?

Hayden

Where should we meet?

Chloe

Andersons' is fine.

At ten in the morning?
Before my shift starts.

Hayden

Okay.