Chapter 30

"It's so weird seeing you with a baby dude." Fred revealed as he observed his normally stereotypically macho, cool personified and slightly reckless best friend cradle his newborn infant in his arms, quietly cooing at him and pulling cute faces.

It was a real eye opener to see the boy who couldn't even match his socks a few months ago become fully responsible for a baby.

"I think he compliments you." Hermione added softly from the other side of the couch, sat next to a very tired Alice who was finding comfort in a blanket she'd had since childhood. The two had come over to visit their best friends and to see their new baby, as well as offer support and see how they were experiencing parenthood, something Fred and Hermione swore off until they were at least 30.

"So when are you both back at school anyway?" Fred asked curiously. "Place isn't the same without you guys."

A deep sigh escaped FP mouth before his eyes darted Fred and Hermione's way. "I'm back tomorrow, but Alice can milk another week."

Alice paused for a brief moment, the very thought of school putting a bad taste in her mouth. She had been dreading going back and had gotten used to just being home with Charles, it hadn't quite hit that she'd have to return to normal soon enough.

"And I definitely will." She bluntly stated with a sharp roll of the eyes. "So what's been happening?" Alice yawned out before adding a brief stretch. "Not like, the classes, but the drama and everything. Who's the gossip mule now that I'm not around?"

"Well now that you mention it?" Hermione responds as she ponders on it for a moment. "Not much,  just the same old same old, except for Gladys having a breakdown in Social Studies."

FP was suddenly more alert than ever upon hearing his, girlfriend, but also ex kinda girlfriend's name. He didn't know what to refer to her now that they were on an indefinite break. His chestnut brown orbs gaped as his eyebrows practically raised into his hairline, before averting his gaze to a mildly baffled Alice.

"Breakdown?" Alice repeated, suddenly seeming quite interested in the topic of Gladys more than ever before.

"Gone a little quiet there Forsythe." Fred mumbled, piquing the curiosity within the girls, especially as FP responded to Fred with a slow death glare.

"Okay? What aren't you guys telling us?" Hermione questioned.

The silence between four teens and infant was deafening as well as awkward, and it was about to get worse. FP had yet to tell anybody what had happened to with Gladys.

"We're not together, simple as, now let's drop it." FP revealed bluntly through a tightened jaw. "Fuck you very much Fred." He added with a mumble under his breath

"You and Gladys split up?" Alice innocently prompted, meeting FP's gaze and sharing an understanding but worried look. As much as she wanted him deep down, it certainly wasn't nice hearing about his relationship with Gladys being on the rocks, and she wanted to make sure he was okay.

FP calmly nodded, avoiding further eye contact with the rest of the group. "We're just, on a break right now. It's complicated." He finished with a mumble.

"Why?"

"It doesn't matter Al." FP stated, desperate for a change in subject.

"Okay, enough hogging." Hermione cut in, feeling the levels of awkward radiating throughout the room. "You guys get this little one all to yourself 24/7." She jested as she stuck her arms out, prompting FP to hand her the baby. She had been desperate to hold him since she got there.

FP settled the infant in her arms and watched her face light up while Fred lightly stroked Charles cheek with the edge of his finger, but being startled as Charles started to squirm and whimper, immediately pulling his hand back.