Chapter 29

A/N: Apologies for the long wait. The past month had been crazy as I'm sure you're all aware of. Enjoy this update and don't forget to vote up, add kudos and leave a comment ❤️

"Do you think I should go with the baby blue or the powder blue?" Fiona questioned her husband in a sort of mumble, holding two bundles of yarn in her hands and sizing them up against each other.

"Depends." Forsythe Senior replied quietly before turning around in his armchair and looking at his wife sat at the table behind him. "Who's it for anyway?"

"Charles, who else would I be knitting a blanket for?" She says with a light chuckle as if it's so obvious, Forsythe wasn't much of a thinker at the end of the day.

"You're making Charles another blanket?" FP curiously asked as he calmly strolled down the hall into his living room with Charles wrapped securely to his chest in a swaddle, lightly stroking the infants back. It was a miracle he was still asleep after he and Alice had spent two hours trying to get him to go down.

"Of course I am!" Fiona beamed in confirmation. "What kind of grandmother would I be if I didn't? So, what colour do you think works best?"

FP honestly didn't think much of it, but that was the case for a lot questions he had been prompted with over the last few days. He was still processing being a new Father and mildly sleep deprived on top of that, but he was grateful for his mother's help and support nonetheless.

"I'm sure Alice and Charles will love it. Maybe go with the powder blue?" He calmly grumbled before releasing a long yawn as he rocked the infant to keep him calm.

Fiona caught her tired son at the corner of her eye, sighing sympathetically as she placed the yarn down before walking over to the two of them. "Has he been keeping you and Alice up?" She questioned with concern, rubbing the tot's back and observing him closely.

FP shook his head in response, initially not wanting to worry his mother before the ringing of the house phone interrupted their discussion.

"I'll get it." He reached over to the device and pulled it off the hook, placing it by his ear. "Hello?"

He could hear the voice on the other line, shallowly breathing through the phone, the nervousness in their tone becoming very apparent.

"Hello?" He repeated more stern, but calmly enough to not disturb a resting Charles comfortably placed up against his chest.

"Wait!" The shaky female voice pleaded on the other end. "Don't hang up."

A sudden feeling of discomfort surged through him upon hearing her voice. "Gladys?" He sighs. "What's up?"

It had been quite a few days since they're disagreement, and the two hadn't spoken since, making this current phone call more than awkward. FP however, didn't want to be angry at her any more, so he was willing to hear whatever she had to say to him.

"I was just wondering, if you could come over, so we can talk about, well, you know?" Gladys practically begs, referencing the subject matter but not wanting to say it fully. She was still highly embarrassed by the whole situation

"I- I can't exactly come over, I'm kinda tied up right now with Charles, and helping Alice our at her place." He declines, looking down at Charles and seeing the infant finally at peace. "You're gonna have to come over to the trailer park, if it's not any trouble. You good with that?"

"Sure." Gladys agrees with a brief smile of relief. She almost expecting him to slam the phone down when he realised it was her. "I'll be over soon."

She reached the trailer park in damn near record time, feeling her stomach tighten and her heartbeat slowly race as she exit her car and approached the Smith's porch.