Chapter 22

Eight months and one week ago, Alice's main priority was wondering if she could pull off a belly button ring and disguise her school rule defying nails from her teachers and hall monitors, just the regular concerns of the average teenage American female. But today? She was worrying about whether the material made for baby onesies was really suitable for the newborns who wore them.

If you'd have told her all those months ago that she'd become such a responsible and sensible individual, she would have laughed in your face, no doubt. Who would've thought the same girl who would have to be coaxed into or begged by her father to so much as wash a dish would be dusting and spritzing her entire trailer top to bottom, granted it was partly influenced by her nesting period but nonetheless, her manic responsible process couldn't be ignored.

Finding out she was pregnant had forced her to change for the better and go through a good process of mental and emotional growth. Her baby was due any day now, and she was more anxiously excited than she'd been in her whole life. This was where the true test to growth, as a person and as a mother, would begin.

As she glared around her box sized bedroom, still amazed at her Father and FP's DIY work in order for everything to fit, it crossed her mind just how much she still needed, and fast.

Money was already tight, even with FP's part time job at Pops, her fathers job and Fiona's so both families had been practical attempting to save as much as they could. The bulk of hers and FP's money had gone on clothes and a few toys for newborns, plus quite a few were donated or belonged to FP as a baby, but she was still incredibly grateful for. They had stocked up on diapers and wipes, Costco came in very handy for that. Fiona and Forsythe had covered the stroller as well as a car seat and her Father had retrieved her old crib from when she was a baby. It was incredibly sentimental to him and he had refused to give it away or simply throw it away either. All it needed was a clean and a little DIY work and it was good as new.

However, the list of her other needs still went on, including a Moses basket, a bottle steriliser, a changing station and a pricey swing she had been eyeing for months but realistically speaking, it was more of a luxury, not exactly the top of her priorities list.

"Knock knock." Roger said slightly cheerfully as he walked into his daughters bedroom. "You busy honey?"

"No." Alice sighed before glaring out of the window. "Just making a note of everything else I need, which is, quite a bit."

"Well I guess my timing was perfect." Roger expressed before walking over to where she was sat.

She innocently pursed her soft pink lips before her brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

Roger smiled softly before reaching into his back pocket. "I was waiting until I had enough money together to give to you." He pulled his wallet out, reaching into the compartment and taking out a hefty sum of cash as Alice gasped in astonishment.

"I've been saving for a while, putting a bit of money aside here and there, how about you go out and get some extra stuff." Her father kindly offered, handing her roughly $500, well from what she figured anyway, completely taking her by surprise.

She happily gasped in shock, taking the money from him before throwing her hands around his neck and pulling him into a hug. "Thanks Dad."

He smiled with pride, embracing her gesture before kissing her cheek. "It's not problem honey."

•••

"A party? Tonight?" FP repeated as he spoke on the phone with Gladys. He had no intention of leaving his trailer, and had already planned on having a lazy day, lounging around his living room with his shirt off, watching reruns and saying crappy food. He was home alone and with his and Alice's baby due very soon, this could be the very last time he had the chance to have a day to himself, and he was going to take full advantage of it.