Second chance in love chapter 5

Vea POV

When the taxi got to the daycare, I asked the driver to wait for me to fetch Mitch then we can proceed to the nearby cemetery.

I got out and saw the different drawings of kids posted on the walls of the daycare and one drawing made me look twice. It was a kiddie drawing of a woman in a black suit with her hair in a twisted bun holding a little girl in a pink Barbie dress with her hair in pigtails. They were both smiling and seemed happy walking near their house and car during a bright sunny day. But once you look at the clouds on the right side of the drawing you can see two angels looking down on the woman and child, these angels are a man and a woman. They were happily looking over the two and over all seemed like they were the guardian angels of the woman and child. I was so engrossed looking at the drawing that I didn't hear Mitch calling me.

"Do you like my drawing mama? I asked Lily if I can give it to real mom and dad so that they can see it from heaven, but she told me that it would be better for me to just show them instead of leaving it there. What do you think mama?" Mitch said

As she said this, I nearly teared up and saw the same reaction with Lily the owner of the daycare. She knew what happened to the real parents of Mitch, she asked me when Mitch kept differentiating mama from real mom.

Mitch was ten months old when she learned how to walk and talk. Her first words were mama and she was looking directly at me, she never lost the habit of calling me mama even if I was only her aunt. I guess it some ways it was her own way of substituting the void in her early life, I became her mama and she became my Mitch.

When she was born my sister called her Andie short for Andrea, but when they died I decided to call her Mitch in memory of my sister, this was also my way of never letting Mitch forget who her real parents were.

There were times that I ask myself if I did the right thing by introducing her to her real parents at an early age, seeing as she never really got the chance to spend much time with them much less know them without me saying anything. Some said that I should have waited until she could comprehend it, but I just couldn't. I can't betray the memories of Richard and Michelle by not introducing their child to them. She had the right to know who her real parents were, and understand that I was simply her second mama, after Michelle.

"I think Lily is right, we could show them and then we could just frame it at home so you can show it to other people once we have guests." I smiled at her.

As we got inside the taxi Mitch was really ecstatic to show her drawing to her mom and dad. Looking at her, I know I made the right decision of telling her early on that she had a full set of parents. After her parents' death I framed every picture of Richard, Michelle and Mitch that I could find, then I keep repeating to Mitch that the people in the picture was her and her parents. I guess now, even at only three years old she understood that those people were her real parents and that I was only her aunt who she refuses to call anything but mama.

There are times that I would feel sorry for Mitch, she never had the chance to meet her parents. They died in a car accident a month after she was born. Michelle just got the news that she was pregnant when I left, then when she was about to give birth she told me to go back, which I did. I only intended to have a short vacation to spend time with my sister, brother in law and newly born niece when that happened. I never knew that in their will I was made sole guardian of Mitch, I felt honored and relieved that I still have Mitch to call family.

Unfortunately my boyfriend at the time, Alex, didn't think that I should keep Mitch, said I should just give her up to her grandparents across the country or give her to foster care. I didn't agree and he made me choose between Mitch and him, obviously I chose the former. After that I never heard from him again, which made me believe that no guy would accept that fact that I have to take care of Mitch, because of this I kissed dating goodbye.