ten.

simplicity of equality

05/10/19

After having to face countless acts of discriminatory behaviour while on the pitch from fans and referees during the previous season, Wynter didn't expect any better entering into the current season. I mean, with the Premier League's lack of enthusiasm to practice the words they preach, as in their enforced rules when racism or in Wynter's case, sexism occurred, they practically permitted the ill-willed to act anyhow during a match without having to face some sort of punishment for their actions.

There were times where the french player simply wanted to let out all of her bottled anger towards all these football associations – tell them how they had the high authority to enforce any rule as they pleased. However, there were also days where Wynter defied her own beliefs whenever she found herself working on her project. She could request ounces upon ounces of rules for UEFA and the FA to put in place though there was a sense of uncertainty in which how those rules could benefit herself and other players.

As brutal as it was, Wynter knew she needed to view this question realistically—if someone, a man, high up in the FA hierarchy put weak regulations in place to protect players from racism or sexism and they resulted in no real change, if she, a female player and a victim to all this uncalled-for harassment, provided the FA with a long list of rules to be printed in the rule book, do you really believe those rules would be enforced effectively? Unfortunately, the french player couldn't lean upon a positive response.

As she couldn't rely much on the FA's words, Liverpool FC always took her thoughts and efforts for change into consideration, making sure to back the player whenever the media were ready to come after her character. And so during the preseason, Wynter managed to obtain a meeting with a few Liverpool executives and Klopp and after a long and rather heavy discussion with them all, they came to the conclusion that if she were to ever face sexism during a match, she had the right to choose to be subbed off even if all three subs were already made.

The Liverpool squad found themselves against Leicester City at Anfield and with twenty minutes left of the second half, the scoreboard was tied with both teams sporting a score of one goal. Liverpool had yet to lose in the Premier League and so everyone played their part to make sure they came out of the game as the ultimate victors, seeing as they were currently at the top of the table.

And much to their relief, by using her swift foot agility to psych out multiple Leicester players, Wynter managed to interrupt the tied scores, instantly lifting up the mood of the Kop and her teammates though unknown to the fact that her own mood would deteriorate within the next few minutes.

As she had broken the tie between the two teams Wynter understood why some Leicester fans were angered because of her. Though that didn't give them the right to express their anger towards her with such harsh phrases. In most cases, Wynter could've chosen to get subbed off the pitch without hesitation but with more than fifteen minutes left of the match, she thought there was no reason to stray away from the match.

However, the longer the harsh chants came her way, the more her teammates worried for her well-being, knowing there was a chance of a sudden panic attack. When those same chants only grew louder with time, it wasn't long before her teammates stepped in by bringing the subtle abuse to the referee's attention when Bobby noticed the sudden shift in Wynter's breathing.

"No, I swear. I'm fine, for real," Wynter exhaled deeply attempting to get her breaths on a steady tempo.

Bobby placed his hands on her shoulders, giving her a knowing look. "Winnie, I get you want to stay on but I know you're lying. Please just get subbed off so we can all feel a bit more at ease for the rest of the match."