Contact

Written for the #WordOfTheWeek contest on the @BeyondSol  profile: Word: Contact

"Shields up! Cloaking enabled!" Captain Marks engaged their defences just as the pirate ship Dirty Water materialized on the screen. As she continued to prep the ship for battle, she pressed the intercom to talk to her mechanic, still outside like a sitting duck. "Halder, tell me you're back inside."

Halder's huffing sounded through the bridge. "Almost, Cap. But I really need to get back out here. The hull took a beating."

"We'll log this bit of uncharted space so no one else will come out of hyperjump into asteroid belts with rocks bigger than the ship. At least we only need a few patches and aren't limping along," Captain Marks replied. "So, let's catch us some pirates. You can take the metal you need from their hull since we're going to scrap that ship!"

Halder's shudder almost came through with her loud exclamation. "Ewww! I don't want to use any stinky pirate metal on my - I mean, your - I mean-"

Captain Marks chuckled. "As far as we know, they're the only ship around. Beggars can't be choosers. We won't make it to a base for weeks."

"Alright," she grumbled.

Minutes later Halder ran onto the bridge. She slapped Pol and Nye on the shoulder on the way to her seat.

"Captain," Nye started.

Captain Marks didn't like hesitations like that. "Talk to me."

"We have another incoming. I don't think the Dirty Water followed us. I just think Serendipity smiled on us, and we stumbled on their rendezvous."

Captain Marks checked the monitors. She pulled them back behind a large asteroid. "Let's see who's come to make CONTACT for their cargo."

WANT MORE OF THIS MISSION? The story continues in my book "Blast Off! Short Spurts of Sci-Fi"