Night Tasks

I grab fistfuls of my comforter and squeeze as hard as I can. "I swear to God, Marley, if she calls me one more time in the middle of the night to run some ridiculous errand for her, I'm going to quit. After this one, I just might die from embarrassment anyway." There's no way I can do this, but if I don't, my boss will make me pay. The snap of my best friend's gum comes over the speaker phone. "Are you allowed to chew gum at work?"

"I'm the night cashier at a hardware store. As long as I stay awake and clothed, I'm ok. What does she want this time?"

Heat burns my cheeks. I lean close to the phone because I have to whisper, even though only my plants will hear, "Condoms. Flavoured condoms." Silence answers, but I know Marley too well.

"Stop laughing at me."

"I'm not...much. Look, you need to keep your eye on the prize. You knew working for her would be hell. But what has happened to every one of Heather Tomkin's interns?"

"They get hired at the agency," we say in unison. My dream job.

"She shouldn't be allowed to treat employees this way, though." Months of anger at my unjust treatment sizzles through my veins. Heather makes me crazy, like 'run amok in stores leaving devastation in my wake' crazy. Maybe I can do that tonight & just grab boxes of condoms on my way through.

Marley snaps her gum again. "I agree. I have a plan."

A smile lights my face. Marley is devious. "You do?"

"We'll deal with that later. For your current problem, go to my place. Right bedside table. You'll find what you need. No store required."

"Mar, you're the best!"

"But of course. We're also going to tackle this aversion you have to buying condoms - & the lack of someone to use them with."

"Mar...."

"No, Sarah. It's been three years since-"

"Don't say his name!" It still makes me run for comfort food. Although eating is a good idea. "I'll swing by with ice cream on my way home." I shake my head. Flavoured condoms. Pfft! I'm still thinking of running amok as I swing out of bed.

Originally entered to @ChickLit weekly Flash Fiction Prompt contest - Prompt 7