Lines Made of Cheese

Jon Hopper, star of the East End, bent Drew slightly backwards. His lips inched closer. "You can't keep kissing strangers, pretending that it's them."

Her heart beat wildly in her chest and sweat popped out on her brow. Her mind was blank.

This was the worst audition ever. This part could be a huge stepping-stone, and just being in front of the director Neil Desmond was a bonus.

She glanced to the wings where the line prompter stood. Flicking her eyes to the darkened hush of the theatre, she saw the director tapping his pen & frowning, waiting for her to deliver the lines penned by the very man with increasingly angry eyes leaning over her.

Relief flooded her as the line finally came back.

Heartbreak leaking into her voice, she said, "I'll never be over them. You know my heart burned up like a fiery inferno when my one true love spurned me."

A lot of people loved Hopper's work, but she thought it was really bad cheese. Like she was discovering he was.

Hopper's onion-breath fanned over her face making her gag. He jerked her upright & stepped away, crossing his arms across his chest. "Rejected."

Rejecting this part may be a hit, but taking it & giving bad performances could be career suicide from bad reviews.

She gave an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. This character isn't right for me."

Neil narrowed his eyes and tapped one finger against his mouth. "No, it's not. You're not a good actress."

Her heart plummeted. Acting had been her ambition since she was five years old, and her idol just told her she sucked at it.

Neil tented his fingers in front of him. "You're a fantastic actress if you can deliver bad lines that convincingly." Drew inhaled sharply as her heart soared.

Hopper spluttered, "Bad lines?"

Neil dismissed him with a finger flick. "Hopper, this play blows. Drew, however... You'd be perfect for an off-broadway production I'm about to start with Leon Yang."

"Leon Yang?" she breathed. Her own personal celebrity crush. Perfect? With him?

Entry for Prompt 21 of the  @Chicklit Flash Fiction Weekly Contests