"If you marry me, no matter what jewelries or handbags you want, I can buy for you!" said the man standing in front of me. 

I don't need anyone to buy me anything. I can buy them...

"She prefers buying things herself. With her own money," someone chirped in. 

I turned my head to find Yves standing behind me and smiling at me. 

"Who are you?" the man shouted angrily. 

"Why are you here?" I asked at the same time. 

"I am bored. You have a great party here, can I join?" He smiled like how he usually did, but why did I suddenly feel a chill going down my spine? He seemed... angry? 

"Of... of course." I responded with a tight smile. It's just that this was a party for me to find my future husband, it would be so awkward if he found out the truth. Or could it be that he already knew? 

As if to make things worse, Father had to walk over at this second. "Odette, is everything going fine?" he asked. Then he noticed Yves, he looked confused for a second, no doubt trying to match Yves with the list of candidates he had. "Odette, is this your friend?" 

He is the high priest of darkness! My boss! Your daughter's partner in crime! 

Yves was looking at me expectantly, like he was waiting for me to introduce him. 

"Father, this is... eh..." I could not disclose Yves' name. "This is... eh..."

"I am your daughter's lover," he said with a mischievous smile hanging on his face. 

Father widened his eyes in shock. My heart literally stopped for a few seconds after hearing what he said. Then after that as if to make things up, my heart started beating like a galloping horse. What was he saying? Must be one of his prank. 

"Am I right, Odette?" he tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. 

How should I respond? Was this a prank? Must be a prank. Right. Right? 

"Odette?" his eyes narrowed as a warning and the chills I felt just now returned. He was really angry. Angry for what? Because I decided to choose a husband without notifying him? 

"If you'll excuse the both of us, Father," I muttered as I dragged Yves away. "What is the meaning of this?" I said through clenched teeth. 

"I think that's my question. What is the meaning of this? A party to choose a husband?" 

"We are... You... But..." I couldn't say a full sentence. At last the anger that built up inside me helped me do all the talking, "You never said anything! How would I know? How would I know if it's another prank again? Huh!" 

"I never use my feelings as prank." He smiled his first true smile this evening. 

"Odette," Father's voice boomed behind me. "Care to do some explanation?" Father looked exasperated. 

Together with Father was the man I was talking with just now. He said, "Lady Odette, I never met him in my life. Clearly he is just some lowly, poor commoner. He..."

"Oh shut up if you don't want to go bald the next instant!" I cried. 

"How distasteful and boring," Yves drawled. "Don't you think it's more interesting if he's turned into a big fat toad?" 

"And that's tasteful?" I retorted. 

"Odette, can I have some explanation?" Father asked once again. 

"Father, this is... eh... the high priest of darkness..." 

Father looked he was about to faint. 

"And yes I am here to kidnap your daughter to the temple of darkness." Yves smiled elegantly. 

Father fainted after that. 

"Do you have to say something like that?"

"Well, isn't that fun?" 

I rolled my eyes in response. 

-------------

Author's note

The epilogue is coming up next. Hope you like this chapter! I really like it xd. 

Also in this Universe--Now posted! A spin off of Odette's story.

<After the Villainess Failed to Overthrow the Gods>

'In every story, there is a villain who has been defeated. What happens to the defeated villain?'

After Lorelei's plot to overthrow the gods failed, she was stripped of her power and voice. She became a mermaid bound to a lake, with her enemy (the god) keeping guard of her. This is a story between a defeated villainess and her enemy.

 This is a story between a defeated villainess and her enemy