CHP. 14 • Truce •

Y/N woke up with a start, her heart pounding in her ears as random memories surged through the forefront of her mind. She tried to sit up but instantly winced, forcing her to lay down again. She quickly pushed the oxygen mask from her face as her eyes darted frantically around the pristine white room. Why was she in the hospital wing? What... what happened to her!?

"Miss L/N, I am glad you're awake but please calm down, no one will hurt you here, I promise" assured the nurse with a kind look in her eyes. Y/N stopped all movement and stared at the nurse blankly, trying to process what was said to her.

"No one... will hurt me?" she whispered quietly, making sure her ears hadn't deceived her. The nurse nodded and came to sit next to the crippled teen, the bed sticking slightly as she placed her weight on it.

"Miss L/N," she began, searching for the right words, "we've heard about what happened and we were most shocked to find out, but there is no need to worry, the situation has been taken care of."

Y/N's eyes widened, "what do you mean, 'taken care of'?" she muttered quietly. The nurse turned to the girl with a saddened expression.

"You father" she spoke, "has been arrested and charged with domestic abuse. You will no longer need to suffer at his hands." Y/N's breath hitched.

'He... He's gone?'

Tears began to form in the girls eyes as she clamped a hand over her mouth. She felt so relieved, but she was also so scared of what would happen to her now that her father was gone. The nurse gently patted her leg and gave her a small smile.

"Do you want me to call your friends to visit you, they were very worried you know."

Y/N nodded her head against the pillow, tears still rolling down her cheeks. She could not believe this was actually happening, because in many ways, she had imagined this scenario before, but never did she anticipate the immense relief that would come with it. Not long after the nurse called for Osoro, the blonde appeared in the hospital wing. She quickly ran over to Y/N and carefully embraced her in a hug.

"Don't you dare scare me like that again! You hear me!?" she yelled, holding the H/C-haired girl close to her. Y/N sighed but returned the hug nonetheless. However, her eyes widened slightly once she noticed the other person who entered the room.

"K-Kizuguchi? W-What are you doing here?" she asked, giving him a quizzical look. The blonde youth gave her a small, barely noticable smile and proceeded to walk up to her bed. He sat down in the chair next to her and leaned forward slightly, resting his elbows on his knees.

"I came to visit you Y/N-sama. Are you feeling better?" he asked in a surprisingly gentle tone, causing the girl's eyes to widen further. Osoro looked between the two and smirked slightly, nodding to herself.

"Well, I'll leave you two to talk it out. See you in a bit!" she replied, waving. As soon as Osoro left the room, there was a moment of awkward silence, as neither knew what to say to the other. Y/N examined him from her seated position on the hospital bed and couldn't help but point out the obvious.

"Your hair... you dyed it" she muttered quietly, causing Umeji to look up and meet her eyes with a wary expression.

"Yeah, what of it?" he asked, becoming slightly defensive. Y/N grinned lightly and reached out to gently touch his blonde locks. Umeji froze in his spot next to her bed and a light blush rose to his cheeks when he felt Y/N's hand run through his hair, causing the girl to grin even more.

"I like it" she commented, moving back to her previous position on the bed. Umeji's yellowish eyes stared at her with surprise and he found himself blurting out something that had been on his mind for a while now.

"Why are being nice to me? I thought you hated me" he asked with wariness, moving to sit up straight in the chair he was in. Y/N stared at him for a few moments and for a moment it seemed as thought she wasn't going to reply. Umeji frowned at her.

"Forget I said anything" he grumbled, beginning to stand up, however, he was surprised when he felt a hand grip his own. He looked down, only to see Y/N's hand in his and when he turned to stare into her eyes, he was startled to notice the tears building up in them.

"Don't... Don't leave" she stuttered, causing Umeji's gaze to soften. She pulled him to sit next to her on the bed and turned to him with an earnest expression. She grasped his hands with both of hers and looked him in the eyes.

"I-I'm sorry" she spoke, her voice cracking slightly with every syllable that came out of her mouth, "I-I know that saying that won't heal you in anyway, b-but..." Suddenly, Y/N's composure broke and tears began to stream down her face once more. Umeji wasted no time in lifting his hands to gently wrap her in a protective embrace, while resting her head on his shoulder.

"Hey, it's not your fault" he whispered, cradling her in his arms, "if I was in your shoes, I would have probably turned out the same."

Y/N lifted her head slightly to look him in the eyes. Her heart was pounding painfully fast as she frantically shook her head.

"N-No!" she exclaimed, "It was my fault. I knew what it was like to be made fun off, I knew what it was like to have your head smashed into the ground and I knew what it was like to feel helpless, yet I still continued to treat you like filth. I-I've turned into my father."

Umeji hushed her and brought his hands up to wipe her tears away. "Y/N, it's fine, honestly. No one deserves to be hurt and you can't erase what you did, but... but that doesn't mean I can't forgive you."

Y/N's eyes widened at the boy in front of her. How could he forgive her after she tormented him for years on end? How could he stand to be seated next to her when she had said all those horrible things to him?

"So what do you say, truce?" he asked, bringing his hand out to shake hers. Y/N's eyes sparkled as she stared into his tough, yet compassionate gaze. He was showing her more kindness than she deserved, that was for sure. Y/N surprised him further by quickly throwing her arms around him and burying her head in his chest.

"Truce."