Epilogue

One month Later

I turned when I heard the front door open to Sean's and my new apartment. It took a little convincing with Caffrey, but he agreed to let us get a new place and reset his ankle monitor. Two more months and he would be free.

Maria and Michael came in the door with a few more of my boxes. "Where do you want these?" Michael asked.

"Anywhere is fine. Thank you!"

Maria came to stand next to me and I handed her a bottle water. "Wow. I cant believe we are almost done moving you in. How does it feel?"

I couldn't stop the smile that covered my face. After my father died, we had him cremated and sent back to Seattle. Ever since then, I just took it one day at a time. It wasn't all going to get better overnight, but it was a start. Besides, having Michael and my mom living in the same state as me was a bonus I wasn't going to waste.

"It feels good," I said to her. "It feels right."

There was a knock at the door and I frowned. "Who is that?"

"Beats me," my mom quipped. "This is your place."

I gave her a look before I started heading to the door. When I opened it, I was even more confused. "Mr. McDaniels. This is a surprise. Please, come in."

He came inside and had an apologetic look on his face. "I'm sorry to pop in on you like this, but it was urgent that I see you."

I heard footsteps behind me and I didn't need to turn around to know it was Sean.

"Jim," Sean said with surprise in his voice. "To what do we owe this surprise."

Jim smiled at the two of us. "I know you have a lot going on since-- well, since I saw you last. But I come with news." He pulled out an envelope and handed it to me. "We won your case, Ms. Preston. The case against your landlord. We were able to settle, so there was no need for a trial."

I opened the envelope and pulled out a check. "Oh. My. God." I looked at Jim with eyes as wide as golf balls. "$75,000?"

Jim gave me a satisfied nod. "Yes, ma'am."

I turned to Sean as my emotions went crazy. "We did it!"

He held me close when he said quietly, "No. You did it."

When Sean let me go I started rambling from the thrill. "We can find a studio for me. Finally!"

Sean pointed to the ankle monitor on his foot.

I covered my laugh with my hand. "Well, after you get that off, of course." I turned back to Jim. "How much do I owe you?"

He held up his hand. "My fee has already been subtracted from that. There's a receipt being sent to Anne. That money is all yours, Ms. Preston."

My eyes started to water again. "Well, fuck nuggets. Can I hug you?"

Jim seemed put off by my question, but opened his arms anyway.

"Thank you," I repeated again. "For everything."

"You're welcome."

Just as Jim started to leave, there was another knock at the door. I looked to Sean and he shrugged. Who the hell was here now?

I was still so full of excitement I basically skipped to the door. When I opened it...everything changed.

"Alex?"

The End

Hey everyone! I cannot believe that we have reached the end of What Now! What a journey it has been so far for Sean and Lydia. I want to say thank you to everyone who read, commented, or voted on this story. I owe it all to you guys 💚💚