Chapter 127: Inflamed Thievery (EP. 02)

The thing about nature that Cyra truly despised was the cold air. While her feathers can resist the icy air with its untamed heat, the fire bird still hates how it likes to send her chills, despite knowing the fact that every inch of her is made out of pure flames.

She hovered above the long troop of guards, but she kept her eyes focused on the horizon. She had always pondered how could her creator and his wife prolong their patience to such unaware fools?

Magoo was not one, however. The General of Arendelle executes his role well, searching every empty warehouse in the kingdom as he could last night proves it.

It's been a whole, overwhelming night without seeing any sign of the twins. Elsa was getting more and more anxious each passing hour. The horse the queen rode could feel the startling texture of ice biting into his pelt.

The loyal phoenix stopped dead in her tracks. She squinted her eyes to get a better look at what she's found.

Her beak opened in shock once she caught sight of the pine trees encased in pure, rigid ice. The ground before the dark forest, however, differed so much because of how green and bounty it was.

She descended back to her master's shoulder.

"Can someone tell me why there was a blizzard in the woods?"

"What does that have to do with the search?" Aiden flatly retorted, before letting the fire bird whisper something to his ear in a secretive way.

Aiden ran his finger on the bridge of his nose in pressure before demanding, "MEN! WE'RE HEADING UP TO THAT FOREST!"

"Sire, I think it's impossible for the traitor to linger there—"

"Are you questioning my intelligence, Captain Lars?" Cyra challenged, nudging her beak at the tip of the captain's nose in a very provoking way. Aiden whirled his head at the phoenix's direction in bewilderment.

"N-no, not at all," Lars stammered. The king's creation can be so daunting sometimes.

"That's what I thought," Cyra huffed before ascending back to the sky. Aiden ushered his jet black steed, Nightingale, to gallop by using the reins.

The rest followed Nightingale's tracks in equal speed, Elsa's horse slightly faster than the others. It did not take long before she caught up with her husband, her blue eyes narrowed in concentration.

"What's going on?!" She yelled through the noisy clops of the steeds and the harsh, howling wind caused by the intense speed they were making.

"Cyra's a bit unsure, but I think she's found them!"

Her husband's answer drove her more desperate. Her horse neighed loudly before he intensified the speed of his galloping.

Every single rider pulled their horses' reins once their leaders finally took a halt before the pine trees frozen and rigid with icicles for leaves.

"How... How could it be winter here already?" Elsa breathed out.

"I don't know, but we'll find out."

"It's too dangerous for us to enter the woods. Those things can impale us. Your majesty, can't you thaw them?"

"I'm afraid not, Lieutenant Matthias. My powers can only thaw the ice I created, but not nature's... If it came from nature, to be honest."

"I can thaw them. With fire."

Helena slowly dismounted from her horse and solemnly stepped forward, "We are leaving the horses here. It wouldn't be safe for them to trot, it'll raise the possibility for us to get hurt by the spikes."

"I agree. Captain Lars, I leave you in charge of the steeds. Keep an eye on them," Aiden slid off from the saddle and pulled his wife closer to keep her safe, "As for the others, trust us. And do not interfere with incoming plans."

"Clear, your majesty."

So the troop began to follow after the fire king and the snow queen's footsteps, each guard trying to be aware of the sudden daggers of ice spread across each tree, with crossbows hoisted up on their shoulder in preparation.

The large branches encased in ice began to recover their true colors which consisted of the rough brown and green, droplets of water raining down upon several heads. But nobody cared because there was something more important to focus on.

"I found something!" Cyra exclaimed.

"Lower your voice," Aiden scolded lightly, "But what did you find?"

"An abandoned warehouse," She replied, "Be careful once you step in, though. It's really dark, and the wood has become delicate because of age."

"Light up the torches," Magoo ordered after over hearing the fire bird's information.

"But would it be safe to go inside?" Elsa questioned.

"If there were lights and minus the old jerk, then yes," Cyra sighed, "But I do have an idea. My feathers can light up the way, I can escort you and Aiden inside."

"How are we sure that the twins are in there?"

"Snowflake, I have to ask you something. Answer this quick if you know."

"What?" Elsa frowned, perplexed.

"How old were you when your powers began to manifest?"

Elsa paused for a moment before answering, "When I was a toddler— oh my goodness. Now it makes sense."

"Indeed," Cyra nodded, "One of the twins could've caused this. Sure, they didn't show any signs of inheriting your abilities; or your abilities," She looked towards the fire king, "But this is just perfect timing."

Aiden brushed his thumb against his chin in wonder, "All we need is a distraction so we can buy us some time to secure and take the twins."

"I'll be the distraction, Aiden."

Helena stepped forward confidently, "If there's anyone who needs to confront Abaddon, it's me."

Aiden took a deep breath and hesitated, "Are you sure about this?"

"I've never been more sure in my entire life, my grandchildren is in danger," Helena spoke gravely.

"A-alright then," Aiden shakily agreed, "Cyra, lead the way."

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ────

Auriana nuzzled her cheek against her twin brother's in comfort, she knew he was getting uncomfortable. It was an identical instinct the twins shared, giving out the act of comfort when the other is troubled.

They both missed their mama and their daddy, and the strange guy who happens to be stuck with them looked really mean. It was a good thing they had each other.

Chandler sniffled and ceased his cries.

The twins dragged their attention towards the pretty bird that landed swiftly by the window, pressing an ethereal feather to her beak as if telling them to be quiet.

Wait, that bird was daddy's friend!

Chandler's cornflower blue eyes met with his mother's once more, which were filled with great joy and relief.

Mama was so far, yet so close...

To be continued
on the next chapter...