23. They won't last

Start from the beginning

'Ok, Shanon-ssi. You're up next,' a member of the staff from the broadcasting station announces.

'Break a leg, sweetie!' My manager says.

----------------

'Thank you so much, everybody. See you this evening!' I thank my dancers after the pre-shoot. We'll come back again for the live show this evening.

Freddie whispers into my ear, 'Miss Sunshine is still in their waiting room. Why don't you go and introduce yourself? You might be able to make some friends from other entertainment companies!'

I comply.

One of the staff from their management team opens the door. 'Hello, I am Shannon from BigHit entertainment. I'd like to...'

'Come in,' the person interrupts.

Rude, but ok.

The girls have changed into their own clothes and look like they are ready to leave.

I don't know how old they are so it is safer to be formal. 'Annyeonghaseyo, I am Shannon from BigHit Entertainment. I think your performance just now was really good.'

'Thank you,' one of the girls replies with a sweet smile. 'I am Yemi.'

'Yemi, come here,' another girl commands.

It's the girl with the long legs! Wow, she looks even prettier in real life.

In fact, all four of them have top visuals.

I think I've seen Hoseok oppa wearing the same loafers with the sign of interlocking Cs.

'What did you say your name was?' The commander girl asks. Her other team members are standing behind her, so she's in charge, huh?

'I am Shannon, and you are?'

'Tanya, pleasure to meet you,' she extends an arm to shake my hand. It was the most half-hearted handshake ever.

Seeing their leader introducing herself, the other girls do the same and their names are Bonnie, Jihwa, and Yemi who I've met 10 seconds ago.

'If you don't mind, we've got other schedules to go to,' Tanya says while she's already making her way out of the room.

'I have listened to "Ticket" and it is really good,' Yemi whispers to me before she follows her group members behind.

'So how are they? I bet they're really nice,' Freddie asks when I return to my waiting room.

I don't really want to say anything bad about them or make any judgment using my first impression of them. Just like Jungkook oppa, some people may take longer than others to warm up to strangers. 'Yeah, they're alright.'

It is only half-past ten when we leave the broadcasting station for BigHit. I've got rehearsals for the American showcases and finalize the change in choreography for "Young and Free'.

A few hours pass by so quickly in the dance studio and I already have to take a shower and head back to the broadcasting station.

I am standing on stage with the MCs and Miss Sunshine. We are now being introduced as we are both counted as rookies.

'Shannon-ssi! Please tell fans something about yourself!'

'Thank you, Dae Hwi and Hyun Min sunbaenim,' I take the mic from them and start saying the sentence I've been practicing over and over again. 'Annyeonghaseyo, I am Shannon. Please give me much love and support!'

'Of course, Shannon-ssi. We heard your debut showcase was a success, how come you waited two weeks to officially debut on Korea's music shows?' They ask me the question that I've been expecting and practicing the answer for. Even though Freddie told me what happened was all over the news but the fans still want to know from the idol herself.

'There has been an unfortunate event which caused an injury to my leg but I have rested and recovered. Thank you to all my fans for worrying about me, I'm back now!' The final touch of a sweet, genuine smile always makes things a hundred times better.

'That's wonderful to hear, Shannon-ssi.'

They turn to Miss Sunshine, who are standing on the other side of the MCs. 'Here is our hot debut group, Miss Sunshine. Please say your warm greetings to your fans.'

'The moon guides and the sun shines. Hello, we are...'

'Miss Sunshine!'

Damn, they have a catchphrase as well? Damn, should I come up with one as well? BTS and TXT will be so proud if I go: 'Ayo, Hitman Bang introduces Shannon!'

Ok, be serious, Shannon, you're on stage.

'Can you tell us about what made you want to become an idol, Miss Sunshine?' The MC asks.

Tanya takes over the mic and stares straight into the camera and speaks naturally, 'I have always looked up to the idols like Girls' Generation sunbaenim, Big Bang sunbaenim, and Bangtan Sonyeondan sunbaenim.' I don't know why but she sounds louder when she's addressing BTS. As if she's saying that to me. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

'What advice would you give the young trainees who aspire to land a successful debut like yours?'

She gives her most charming smile that I'm sure can melt the hearts of millions of fanboys. 'Just work the hardest you can. Those who storm in and get the same things as you have been working for years and years will never last.'

Although she's smiling, her statement sounds so aggressive and is so specific to my situation that the audience and even the MCs look taken aback but they quickly regain their control.

'Alright, thank you, Shannon and Miss Sunshine. We look forward to your performances!' They turn to look at the fans and say, 'who's your rookie stan? Take a vote on our website at...'

As excited as I am for my music show debut, I am still quite confused about what Tanya's words. I know she must have trained at her company for so long, and I have no doubt in her performing abilities. If a rookie group is already that aggressive and powerful, what will the other groups say or do to me? What have I got myself into?