☽☾ the clapback called karma ☽☾

Start from the beginning

"Of course it sounds humorous, the big and foreboding Alpha of Night Blood pestering his feeble old grandmother, threatening to put me in a nursing home if I didn't give him an update on you," She waved a hand dismissively. "You know, the bastard actually printed out a list of assisted care snow bird facilities? The gall of that boy! As if I could march out here myself and say Oh, Marcel, how is the Summit going? You're not injured are you?  How on earth something that bothersome descended from the fruits of my loins I'll never know!"

I was shaking violently from trying so hard to withhold my laughter. It seemed so unlike him, and yet, so much like something he'd do. 

"If the rotten brat wasn't annoying me, it took every bit of my strength to drag him out of that green house. He nearly killed me when I told him to stop crying into his tulips."

"And...I suppose when you came out here to get us?" I pressed, trying to hide my curiosity. She glanced back at me with a teasing glower. 

"Don't sound so smug, Marcel, I had to beat the boy off my leg just to get here!" She huffed, turning around in her seat. "The seats were already full, and he arranged that himself! Gran, will you just check and see? Maybe someone got sick and there's a seat open?" She mocked her grandson perfectly and I couldn't hide the brilliant smile that took over my face as I leaned back, practically brimming with bliss and excitement to finally see him. 

But as a moment passed and the green blur of trees racing by the window grew boring, a sudden thought sobered my glee. 

"Jane...was there another attack while we were gone?" I asked softly. 

Her silence planted a seed of dread in my stomach and I closed my eyes, waiting for her to rip off the band aid. 

"Alpha Adrian of Imperial Canis," She had finally admitted regretfully. "Someone poisoned his wine. His Beta found him a few minutes after he ingested it. A minute later and he'd have been dead. He's in intensive care right now but...the doctor's aren't hopeful."

My face puckered with guilt, a blossom of sadness seeped through my body and I lay a hand over my eyes tiredly. Alpha Adrian had been kind and supportive at the meeting. Encouraging me and inspiring me to continue being true to myself as a leader. "If your words are any indication of what type of leader you're going to be, I expect we'll see great things from you."

"Rest, Marcel, we'll be home soon."

☽☾ ☽☾ ☽☾

Coming back, dusk had begun to settle on the quaint territory of Night Blood. Glimmering fairy lights and flickering torches lined the drive as the convoy of vehicle tore down the weathered, dirt trail. 

The dim clearing was alive with a tall bonfire, the red flames dancing high in the air, and the silhouettes of the pack rippled as people moved out of the way. The Welcoming Ceremony. 

My heart seemed to be stuck in my throat, anxiety coursing through my body like a drug. Jane leaned around the front seat and smiled at me. 

"Breathe, darling, Donovan is waiting," She told me tenderly before swinging the door open and stepping out. 

I looked down at my scratched, dirtied hands, my shorts tattered and shirt stretched ridiculously and littered with stains. A small, miniscule part of me fretted over my appearance, tutting disapprovingly about my unruly state, but the majority of me was brimming with nerves, ready to be out of this car and back into Donovan's arms. 

My shaking hand closed around the latch and slowly pulled. 

The scent of burning oak, smoke, and a hint of bourbon flooded my nose along. The humid air latched onto my skin like a leech, and my tired eyes scanned the dark crowd of people. I could hear my ladies letting out gleeful shouts and I turned to see them all racing off into haphazard directions as they hunted down their mates.