☽☾ Claiming Day ☽☾

☽☾ ☽☾ ☽☾

☽☾ ☽☾ ☽☾

"Another mimosa?"

"I'll take those," Grayson grinned like the devil, swooping two dainty glasses off the server's tray and returned to our table where my father and I sat in wait. As Gray handed me the orange drink my father gave him a look full of disapproval.

"Grayson, it is barely 11 a.m. and you have your sister drinking," My father tutted, turning his attention to his western omelet. I sheepishly sipped at my alcohol.

"If it's any consolation, dad, I've been drinking since last night?" Gray offered, causing my dad to choke and slam his fist on his chest.

"I wish you wouldn't negatively influence your sister," My father grumbled, taking a sip from his water.

"Live a little, old man," My brother waved him off, skulling his mimosa like a pro.

Today was the day.

The culminating event.

The Claiming Day.

The ceremony would not begin until this evening, so the tributes were allowed to socialize and mingle within the parameters of Central Point with their family if they were signed out by their loved ones.

So, here I sat. In a cozy restaurant, at a table clade in white cloth and too many forks, knocking back mimosas with my brother and facing reprimand from my father.

"How'd you find this place, son?" My dad asked while I dug into my hashbrowns. Gray set his glass down and cleared his throat.

"Right, you might not believe this. It was the Alpha of the Night Blood pack."

I couldn't control my body's reaction as I instantaneously dropped my fork on the ceramic plate with a clatter and my dad looked at Gray, seemingly more startled than before.

"Alpha Blackmon?"

My heart thumped in my chest erratically.

"I thought that man was a psychopath," I muttered, staring at the table. "The women say he's a monster and keeps his grandmother in a prison cell."

Gray snorted.

"While I don't doubt in the slightest bit that the man has killed with his own two hands, I think that pack gossip hasn't done him enough justice. Personally, I believe those rumors inflate his reputation as the most feared Alpha of the Big 5. He bought me a few drinks last night, so I'd say he's not a complete lost cause."

"And you just accepted?" I gasped, hand flying to my throat. "He could have poisoned you! Or killed you, Gray, with his own two hands, just like you said!"

"Those hands have done a lot of scary things," Gray mused. "But, I don't think he had any reason or intention to kill me last night. Stop worrying."