“Vince,” she started, wanting to tell him that this was probably going nowhere.

“I know, I had a great time too,” he interrupted. She smiled awkwardly because that was definitely not what she wanted to say.

“Yeah…” she mumbled and there was an awkward silence. Whenever it was quiet between her and Raphael it was either comfortable or sexual. Never awkward.

Vince was experiencing their date totally differently. He was very much attracted to Rose and he, on the other hand, had a great time. Even though there was an unwritten rule about not kissing on the first date, he still wanted to. He took a step, closing the space between them. He had closed his eyes already, thinking and hoping they were going to kiss. But his lips only met air instead of hers. He opened his eyes only to see a Rose raising her eyebrow at him.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized. He was quite embarrassed because he was turned down but that didn’t stop or reduce the feelings he had for her.

“No, it’s alright. Thanks but I got to go,” she said as Jean-Pierre pulled up. She was wishing he hadn’t seen Vince trying to kiss her or he might tell Raphael. She didn’t even want him to tell Raphael about her being with a guy, period.

“You have a driver?” Vince stared at the black S-class Mercedes with tinted glasses where Jean-Pierre stood against with a big smile on his face. 

“Yep.”

“Cool!” he expressed and she nodded in response. This was by far the most awkward date she had ever been on.

“I’ll see you around,” she said purposefully, meaning she didn’t want to go on a second date. She turned around and walked away to the car until his hand on her arm stopped her. It was nothing gentle, it was harsh. She glared at it, hoping he’d get the point that she didn’t want to be touched. “Can you let go, please?”

He stared right into her eyes for a while before letting go. “Sorry. Good night.”

Jean-Pierre had seen everything that had happened. From Vince trying to kiss her to the way he held onto her arm. “Madame, are you alright?” he asked Rose as he held the door open for her.

“Yes,” she lied and added a smile to make it look more convincing. He returned the smile but didn’t believe her and closed the door for her.

“Who was he?”

“Oh, that was… uh…” she couldn’t tell him his name was Vince since Raphael knew who Vince was because of that one Starbucks cup. “A colleague.”

“Just a colleague?” the car came to a stop at a stop light and Jean-Pierre looked at Rose through the rearview mirror.

“Mhm,” she hummed back. “But please don’t tell Raphael,” she quickly added. “He’s going to be really mad if he finds out that…”

“That?” Jean-Pierre questioned. “That you were talking to a colleague?”

“He barely allows me to talk to guys.”

Jean-Pierre nodded and focused back on the road. He wasn’t going to force her to tell Raphael nor was he going to tell him himself. He had to since he had promised Raphael, but it wasn’t his place to tell and Rose probably had a valid reason to be so secretive about it all.

Once she was home, she stripped herself immediately and took a shower. During her shower, she came to the conclusion that this was not only the most awkward date she’d ever been on; this was also the worst date. Thinking of the way he held her arm firmly, she looked at her arm. It was not bruised but as she touched it, it was kind of sensitive. No man had ever touched her like that and she’d be damned if one ever did it again.