14

Holly walked into the living room with her mum. She sighed and looked at her. "So. What do you want? Especially now?" She asked.

"I thought I owed you an explanation. As to why I haven't been around," Polly said as she looked at her.

Holly scoffed. "You thought that now? Little late isn't it? I've gone my whole life with not knowing who you were. Why now?"

"Because I want to know my daughter. I've always wanted to know who you were. Despite everything."

"Too little too late. If you don't mind, I have work in the morning and I need my sleep," she said.

***

The next morning, Holly went into work. She saw Cal with Iain and sighed. "You didn't come home?" She asked.

"Yeah I crashed on Iain's sofa. Heard him and Lex screwing all night. All I heard was "oh baby."

"Shut it."

Holly smiled. She couldn't help but think Cal was hiding something from her. She looked around. "Where is Lexi?" She asked.

"Think she went to the toilets. Looked like death warmed up," Iain said as he and Cal walked off.

Holly made her way into the staff toilets. She saw Lexi sitting on the sinks with a pregnancy test. Holly smiled. "Told you so."

"This is a mess. A huge flipping mess."

Holly sighed and looked at her. "I went to speak with my mum last night. She said she wanted to get to know me. I honestly can't do this Lex. She... she left me all alone and now she wants to jump in and play mummy?"

Lexi smiled slightly. "It'll be okay Hols. You do what you think is best for you."

Holly nodded and sighed. She looked at her. "So. You're pregnant?" She asked.

Lexi picked up the test and nodded. "Yeah. I'm pregnant. Like bloody hell. Iain and I aren't even together. It was a couple of times. Nothing else."

Holly laughed. "I told you so. It'll be okay though Lex. You'll be a great mum. I know you will."

***

Holly felt like Cal was avoiding her. He hadn't tried it on with her like he usually did. He didn't try and get her into the on call room.

Holly saw him sitting in the staffroom. His head in his hands. "What's up? You've been avoiding me like I've got some infectious disease. Talk to me."

"I've been busy Hols. That's all."

Holly sighed. "No. You've been avoiding me ever since I came into work. What's happened?" She asked.

***

Holly wasn't getting any answers from Cal. She went to find Iain. He was sitting in the back of the ambulance. "We need to talk."

"What's up?"

"Why is Cal avoiding me? I know there's something up. I need to know," Holly said as she looked at him.

Iain sighed. He knew he couldn't keep it secret from Holly. Especially when she was the mother of Cal's daughter. "It's Cal Hols. Don't be mad. Please. Stay calm. But... he cheated on you last night. When you went home."

Holly was shocked. But could she ever forgive him for breaking her heart?