Chapter 7: Vijaya

"A known breeder

"A known breeder. Has two kids. Working the fields for more than fifteen years now. The bidding will start at..."

Only three more women left before my turn comes. I breathed in deep. I can't let this happen. I have to stop this. I can't get sold like cattle. Not again.

My eyes darted towards the door. It was a rickety old thing, barely managing to stay closed. Almost fifty men were standing around, ready to grab and punish anyone who was foolish enough to think of running.

But maybe, just maybe if I can create a distraction, I can escape?

Shall I try? What have I got to lose?

I looked around surreptitiously. The guard on my left seemed distracted with his phone, the pistol tucked carelessly on his belt. I was trying to think of ways of grabbing it with my bound hands, when a whisper sounded from my left.

"Don't even think about it sister." My head whipped around to see my neighbour with a sad expression on her partially visible pinched face.
"It is no use. They always catch you. I have tried it many times before. Want to see the consequence?" She brought her face closer so I could see under her veil. I blanched in shock.

One side of her face was a hideous black. Only the eyes remained unharmed. Everything else was burned, the nose, cheek, ears.
She stepped away.

"Yeah, you don't need to be beautiful, girl. They only need you to produce their rotten babies and work the house." Bitterness marred her whispering voice. "They don't allow their own wives and daughters to work, so we are their mules; slaves." She shook her head in defeat.
"No point. Just accept your fate", was her final advice to me before she fell silent like all the other women.

Just accept your fate. Words which I have heard my entire life. Words which, if I had heeded, had made my life a lot easier. But I hadn't listened then, and I wasn't going to start now either.

And I am glad that I didn't.

I surveyed the scene around me once again and decided to just go for it. My neighbour seemed to have sensed it because she faced me with a panicked expression and frantically motioned not to do something stupid.

But I was too far gone by now. My feet stung, my mangled arm shot a pain through my body to remind me of the torture I had been enduring since I have arrived here, my heart thudded like an express train.

I ignored everything and launched myself headfirst on the guard at my left.

He fell on the floor, taken by surprise. Another guard came at me, I side stepped him, adrenalin coursing through me. I aimed and my kick hit his groin with enough force so he fell down too. But the first guard had got up by now. He grabbed me from behind. Instinctively, I jerked my head backwards and he staggered back, blood flowing from his nose.
With a cry, a bunch of guards rushed towards me, but my target was someone else. I streaked towards the ornate chair in the middle and threw myself bodily onto the old man sitting there with a nonchalant expression on his face.