Chapter 22

The ride home was comfortable and relaxed. Nixon had taken Freya's hand and laid it over his right thigh and it remained there as he drove. Freya couldn't suppress her smile the entire way.

A soft instrumental melody filled the car as both occupants enjoyed each other's company, sneaking glances now and then.

As Nixon pulled up to the Lorden Estate, Freya felt the knot in her stomach surface again. The dread of having to face her father after their fall out made Freya actually consider asking Nixon to turn around and take her back to his apartment.

She squared her shoulders and removed her seatbelt before she pulled her hair up into a ponytail.

Nixon turned to watch her, admiring as she adjusted the band and pushed little stray strands away from her face. Not an ounce of make up and yet she still remained the most beautiful woman in his eyes. He was so fucking lucky.

"Tesoro?", he called, his eyes still glued to her.

"Hmmm... "

"Starai bene di fronte a tuo padre?", the concern in his voice warmed Freya's heart. It felt nice having someone else lookout for her.
(You going to be okay facing your father?)

Sighing, she spoke, "It's not something I'm looking forward too but it has to be done."

Nixon placed his hand under her chin and tipped her mouth up, connecting their lips briefly, "Call me if you need anything.", he said firmly before pecking her lips again.

She nodded, "Would you stop by the hospital to see Sara later?"

Nixon smiled sadly, his brother was still angry and he wasn't sure his new sister-in-law would feel any different. After all that was said and done, Nicolas was right in a way and needed time to forgive his older brother.

Besides, who knew what would be of the Ford family after today.

"Not today tesoro.", the sound of his voice told Freya not to push the matter any further. She just hoped this bitterness and anger between the two brothers would cease.

Freya's gaze shifted to the house. She couldn't avoid going in any longer. Besides the Freya Lorden that had walked out yesterday, was very different from the one that would walk in today.

"I'll head inside then."

Nixon nodded, his fingers reaching up to caress the side of her face, "Sei bellissima, inside and out."
(You are beautiful)

Freya couldn't help but blush, the urge to tell him that she loved him gnawed at her but she knew it was too soon. There was too much he was dealing with right now and she didn't want to make him feel obligated towards her. So for now she'd take comfort in him and when the time was right, she would tell him.

"Thank you."

Freya opened the car door and got out. The slight throb between her legs made her grimace. How could she ever forget last night anyway?

Sending one last smile in Nixon's direction, Freya waved before turning and walking past the gates, unaware of the turmoil the man she loved was drowning in.

Nixon watched Freya walk inside and felt his insides churn, his next stop was his own home. And like his tesoro, he was going to face his mother and find out what really went on between her and Ava 2 years ago.

The possibility of what he'd find out, left him absolutely terrified.

Freya on the other hand, was nervous. Her tentative steps toward the front door only taunted her more. She had never left the house before like this, let alone stay out the whole night. She could only imagine what she would be met with on the other side.