Chapter 20. Into the Woods

She pushed closer to what seemed to be a flyer stuck to a dead lamp post

She pushed closer to what seemed to be a flyer stuck to a dead lamp post. She dropped the shopping bags with care, not letting her eyes off the paper, and she ripped it off. Her eyes scanned the small leaf of paper from edge to edge. Her eyes went wide, and she could feel something hot spread at the pit of her stomach.

She gasped, as she held in her hands a flyer declaring four teen kids missing. One of which included Jordan King. She folded it and packed up the groceries. In no time, she quickened her steps and headed for the Orphanage. She carried along slight smells of dish washing soap and a lavender scented perfume.

The Mistress stood tall, high as the Everest. 6'2 to be precise. She was the tallest in that abode. She stared down at Sally, partly glancing at the unloaded bags of groceries.

Quick bangs and blares spilled from the large living room into the kitchen. The Mistress' hands were in her black overcoat pocket, and Sally's fragile fingers laid on the breakfast bar that demarcated them. The grocery bags splayed, spilling part of its content on the granite-colored kitchen counter, in their absolutely spotless kitchen.

Sally reached into her pocket and pulled out the flier she found earlier. She pointed it out and the Mistress snatched it.

She turned it over when a sharp yell burst out.

"Danny! Ian!" The Mistress barked out, facing the kitchen door leading to the hallway.

"Ian started it," a five-year-old male voice replied.

"No give it back, it's mine," Another voice countered.

"Just share, or shut up! Do not make me come out here to get you." The mistress's coax voice rumbled in the confined air.

The noise from the kids died down into soft murmurs. She regained her posture and calmed her nerves. She straightened the paper, and looked down at it.

She gasped as she read. She looked at Sally, both of them had their gazes locked on.

"This nightmare is here again. The horror is upon us. I thought this was over? I thought we were done with this." She queried like she had been worried sick for ages. Her saggy jaws with tiny sparks of gray hair around her chin moved.

"What nightmare? Has this happen before?" Sally asked out of curiosity with a moody expression.

"Oh Sally. It's a long story." She groaned. "One that I'd hoped would not happen again."

"Oh, this town is cursed, ma'am." Sally muttered, she pulled her tightened scarf and tucked in the loose strand of black hair. "This town... is cursed."

****

...as the disappearance saga has struck again. Four kids all of the ages fourteen, fifteen and sixteen have suddenly disappeared into thin air. The police are...

Edith and Alfred —the butler— watched the news with mild discomfort. They sat side by side on the gray sofa, facing the TV, which she had forgotten to turn off. Alfred held on steady to his brown mug of cold coffee. He could feel Edith's body heat up close, as a peach and lavender scent hit him hard.

Edith was trying hard to watch the news, but her head kept spinning. Alfred wasn't also stable, he only tried to act calm so as not to arouse Edith. As Edith sat still, her mind was already elsewhere. And at that moment, she was filled with guilt and regrets. She began to blame all that had happened on herself. She shouldn't have let Alfred out of the house in a neighborhood they just moved in. And if she were a good parent, she'd have known that. She thought. But amidst all the blames, she had to do something. She couldn't even bear the thoughts of losing Alfred. It would eat her up for the rest of her life.

She kept thinking long and hard, keeping her eyes wide open, with furrowed brow. This was the same spot she sat in the previous day when her son wanted to go out. Her mind had begun to produce sparks as the chatter on the TV faded into muffles.

She traced her eyes directly to where Alfred —her son— stood earlier, whilst she peeked at their eastern living room window. She stood up, and gazed hard at the widow, the previous memories flashing before her eyes.

Alfred wanted to stand up with her, but his butt apparently felt glued. He studied Edith as she seemed absorbed in a stream of thoughts and reminiscences. Edith pointed at the spot where she saw Clifford and one other boy run with their bikes across the road.

She looked back at Alfred, he watched her eyes, not knowing what to utter. She blinked twice, and  swift knowledge came to her.

"I think they went into the woods." Edith talked, her hands shivering unnoticeably.

"What?" Alfred then stood, and looked at the same window.

An air of uncanny familiarity ensuing.

"Think about it. I saw Alfred yesterday, crossing over there with his friends." She explained.

"Are you certain of this?" Alfred asked in a high pitch. And in the next minute, reality began to dawn on him. "I mean they would have been searching around by now."

"Even if I'm not sure, I can't wait on the police anymore or these fliers. With the look of uncertainty on their faces, they seemed like we just brought a lost cause to them." She said. "We need to check the woods. We need to check the whole goddamn wood!" Edith roared softly.

Author note
How are you finding THTSK so far?
Lemme know!
P.S are you following me for more updates!?
If not... click here mikaelkrownmk