Chapter 29: Faded Sleep

Start from the beginning

  "You would tell me if you weren't doing okay right?" I said softly. He didn't answer straight away and this told me everything I needed to know.

   "Like you'd tell me?" he responded, deflecting it back onto me,

"Look, if you don't want to tell me. I'm okay with that, but will you at least tell or talk to someone,"

  "I..." he began,

"Promise me you'll talk to Angelo about whatever it is that makes sleeping hard for you. I know how much you two mean to each other and how close you are. Promise me Arlo,"

  "I promise," he answered, "I promise," I felt his hand rest on my shoulder and I closed my eyes.

Arlo's POV

Keane fell to sleep around 2.30am, his peaceful and gentle breathing and his safe touch sent me to sleep also. For a little while at least.

I jolted awake in fright and cursed, hoping I hadn't awoken Keane who was still lying on me. He didn't stir.

The time was 4.30am.

"I told you to wake me," Tayte said sleepily coming out on the balcony.

   "Sorry, I have only just woken up myself," I said,

"Let me wake Keane, you must need to move. I'll drag him back to bed,"

   "You don't have to do that," I said,

"Oh I know how heavy this lump is," I smiled,

   "I heard that," Keane yawned opening his eyes. We both laughed. "Thanks brother, you're really comfy and I don't feel sick anymore," he then said sitting up.

"Thanks Arlo, see you in a few hours,"

I sat on my bed.

We had to be up at 6am anyway, to leave soon after for our 9.45am flight from LAX.

I got changed into running gear and then quietly left the house for a run.

...

"You didn't go back to sleep then?" Tayte said as I came into the kitchen. Arii, Leo and Tayte were up and dressed drinking coffee and eating slices of toast,

   "No, how's Keane?"

"He's been sick, but he's adamant he's totally fine. Rhina wants to postpone the trip, worried he's getting sick and with him having half a spleen things could escalate quickly. Keane is having none of it though and said it was something he ate that didn't agree with him,"

   "He's fine," Noah said walking into the room with Angelo, "He's coming down for coffee and toast and wants it ready please Tayte, thanks, love you, all his words. But I do love you," Tayte rolled his eyes.

"What time we leaving?" I asked,

"In around 45 minutes," Arii yawned. I nodded,

  "Thanks, keep the coffee hot for me," and I walked off, I noticed Angelo watching me and just knew he was going to say something to me at some point.

I jumped in the shower.

Got dressed.

Doubled checked my bag.

I popped my head into Keane and Tayte's room, which was empty which meant that Keane had come downstairs.

Everyone excluding Auntie and Joey were in the kitchen, I was told they were next door and expected us outside the front and ready in half an hour.