Chapter 28 Meilani

I may have gotten Chantel into some deep shit, seeing how fast Marcus ended the call. He didn't give me two words while handing my phone back. When I called the number, Chantel sent me to voice mail after the first ring. "Damn!" I mumbled, stomping my foot. I knew she wouldn't let me hear the end of this. All because my nosy ass wanted to see Shaheem.

"Hurry up Melinda, you're moving slow!" My boss called as I made countless drinks.

"My name is Meilani!" I shot, turning to see him walking away. "Here you go." I smiled to a regular, as he snatched the glass away from me. "Excuse you!" I snapped, rolling my eyes and walking away.

"Gin and tonic, please!" A familiar voice called.

I turned and took a deep breath. "Why are you here, Ming?"

"Fix the damn drink, please!"

"You don't even drink!"

"I do tonight!"

I exhaled, and turned to the bar. While making the drink, I kept looking over my shoulder, to make sure she didn't try anything.

"Why are to so fidgety?" She smiled, as I placed the beverage down.

"Long night..."

"How about you come over to my place after work?"

"Sounds tempting, but I'll pass. Your pussy is not worth the headache!"

She splashed the liquor in my face, and slammed the glass down against the bar, shattering it. "Fuck you!"

I wiped my eyes, before heading to the bathroom. "Crazy bitch!" I hissed, shaking the alcohol from my finger tips. I couldn't imagine putting up with this crazy bitch any longer. Not only was she causing problems for me, but for my family. I thought her little games were over, when she totaled Chantel's car, but things just seemed to be getting worse. There were complaints coming in to my job about me, left and right, and I knew exactly where they were coming from. I needed to get rid of her, before she caused anymore controversy.

When I walked back to the bar, I noticed Shaheem standing near, before running my fingers through my hair. "What are you doing here?" I shot with a little more attitude than expected.

"Looking for you."

"Why is that?"

"You were looking for me, weren't you?"

"Who told you I- ...Marcus?"

"All that don't matter, I'm here now. What's up?"

"First of all, I wasn't looking for you! I was in the neighborhood." I lied cocking my neck back. I knew he may have been getting the wrong impression, and I didn't need him thinking that I was stalking him, or doing anything clingy.

"What time do you get off?"

Tapping the glass of the bar with my index finger, I shrugged. "A few hours, why?"

"I wanted to take you out for something to eat."

I scratched the top my head, and glanced around, before replying. "I mean, I am hungry. But this isn't a date or anything like that!"

"It can be whatever you want it to be." He smirked, leaning in a bit closer to hear me better.

"Save your game." I threw my hand up, and walked away, to assist the next customer. In actuality, I was happy. I had been waiting for this for months, and it was finally happening. Time was passing slowly, but Shaheem seemed to be patient.

After clocking out, I hurried toward the door. It was three in the morning, and normally I would be exhausted, but I was full of energy. "It's pretty late, everything is just about closed."

"Nah, not everything."

"Well, what's open?"

"My kitchen."

I turned to him in a shocked manner, before resting against the seat, and acting as if I wasn't impressed. "You know how to cook?"

"I can make something shake."

"You sure? I would have never guessed."

"Very funny. I never saw you with any pots in your hands whenever I came by Marcus' crib. What does that tell me?"

"You not seeing me in the act, doesn't prove anything. I cook when I need to. Maybe I'll be able to show you a few things one day." I poked, crossing my legs.

"Maybe so." He shrugged, easing through the light traffic.

"That was delicious, Shaheem." I grinned, helping him with the few dishes.

"See, that's what happens when you doubt a nigga."

I chuckled escaped my lips, while I shook my head. "I didn't doubt you."

"What you call it, then?"

"Being curious."

"Why is that?"

"I can't just go around putting anything in my mouth." I smiled, as he moved toward me, closing the gap between us, and tilting his body to mine. He smelled so good, and his body heat was making me uncomfortable.

"Why not?"

"Why so many questions?"

I pressed my lips against his, before sliding my tongue into his mouth. This was a bit forward, but I didn't care, the kiss was long overdue. Then, I thought about how many times I had been in this same predicament. Letting a person inside of me, without even knowing something as simple as a last name, always led to bad endings. For some odd reason, I cared about Shaheem's respect, more than the potential sex. Fuck, those girls were rubbing off on me. Moving a step back, I made some space and crossed my arms. "I don't want to move too fast, I just want to chill.. you know?"

"We can chill, it's all you." 

Exhaling, and resting against the counter, I examined the kitchen in an awkward manner. "So, can I see the rest of the place?"

He laughed at my sarcasm, and led the way. From the looks of things, I could see that he was barely here. There were unopened boxes laying around, and it was dusty in the vacant rooms. When we entered the final room, he held the door for me.

"This is nice... I wonder how many women have been here..."

"You're the first."

"First? I bet I am." I turned, before swiping up the purple panties that sat by the bedpost.

"A'ight, maybe the second." He smiled, slightly laughing.

I took a seat on the bed, and narrowed my eyes in his direction. "From what I hear, I highly doubt I'm even the tenth."

"It depends on what you heard... You know how people talk."

"I know you're a dog. No need to pretend like you're anything else. I don't even know why I even tried."

"What does that make you? A bitch, if I'm a dog... Haven't you been pretending too?"

"Excuse you?" I crossed my arms, rising from the bed.