prologue

"I'll always be here for you," he smiled, his crystal-like tears sending small specks of light across his cheeks from the sun striking through them. "Even if I'm not really there. Okay?"

"Promise?" I asked hopefully, haphazardly sticking out my littlest finger. Giving a pathetic attempt to smile, I tried to seem like I was fine. Hot teardrops rolling down my face, however, shot down any hope in making my little scheme seem believable.

"Promise," he confirmed, wrapping his pinky around mine and shaking it lightly in reassurance. He brought our interlocked hands to his face and placed it on his cheeks. He closed his eyes, stopping his broken-looking, chocolatey, eyes from showing.

Giggling feebly, I inquired half-heartedly. "What're you doing?"

"You don't even know," he mumbled under his breath. Soft sobs starting to rack his body, he quickly enveloped me in his arms, tears falling onto my clothed shoulder. "'Cause you're mine, I just wanna blow your mind."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked fearfully, watching him pull away and walk backward, away from me. The aftermath of my weeping staining my face.

"I-"

"NO!" the last echo of my scream faded away. My world had stopped. This can't be the end, right? Only good endings happen in fairytales.

This adventure may have felt just like another fantasy story, but that didn't change the fact that this was still real life. Not everything goes your way. And in this case, not everything ends the way you want.

~

San Y/n, the only child of the San family. Adventurous.

San Jaehwa, the wife and mother of the San family. Spontaneous.

San Kangdae, the husband and father of the San family. Workaholic.

~

It was a late Friday night. Or a very early Saturday morning.

My phone resting snugly in my clear case buzzed lightly. I would've missed hearing it completely if not for me only listening to my music with one earbud in. My foot tapped to the rhythm underneath my blanket covering only my legs.

I paused typing out my thoughts for my essay due in a week and looked down at my phone. It buzzed again. 

My lights were off, and the only thing stopping the darkness from eating me whole was the low glowing from the screen of my laptop sitting on my lap. Well, the only thing stopping the darkness was my screen, until my phone lit up.

The inanimate object seemed to bounce excitedly at the call coming through. I picked it up and held it to my ear, accepting it. As I said my greetings quietly, my eyes watched the clock in the corner of the monitor.

One in the morning. No sane person would call at this time. Which is exactly why this specific person was calling. Only one individual calls me at this hour.

"Y/n? Hey, almost done that essay? I wanna come over," the boy's voice exploded from my device. At least someone was happy and energetic.

My best friend since I was ten.

Park Jimin.

That's right, we met in middle school and have been going strong ever since then. Now I'm in my senior year of high school and Jimin is one year graduated. The thought of becoming an adult already scared me enough, but thinking about Jimin already being one petrified me more.