Thrown into the hot pot

This voice is..?

...Impossible.

The wind rushing from the windows in the hallway came blowing through the tiny crack of the door, further spilling daylight into the windowless room.

"You..." My hands slowly raised themselves like they have a life of their own. I grabbed the arm that was holding me immobile just above my chest.

"Is this a dream..? How... Y-you... here..?"

As if scalded by my touch, the arm had instantly loosened and the person behind me scurried away, dropping his weapon in the process.

"Lei-" He paused.

"You... Y-you can't fool me again. You're not real... You're not real..." Muffled footsteps retreated hurriedly into the farthest corner. I turned around, squinting my eyes at where he had gone off to.

"U..ziel..?" My eyes widened as they landed on the big figure huddled by the corner. My vision has moderately adjusted so I could see a little better now. Thanks to the light coming from the hallway, as well. His body rocked back and forth as he covered his ears with his hands, whispering relentlessly. 

"You're not... dead..?" I muttered like an idiot as I stared at him, caught in a trance. Slowly, I walked towards him, passing by another door between a narrow area that only had a chair and a much bigger area that was covered in cushion. The two spaces were connected by a transparent partition. I'm assuming it's a security glass. But why..?

I pushed the question away as I focused my attention to him. With each step I took, he flinched as if dreading my nearness. 

Is this real..? Not a dream..? I knelt down in front of him to level our gazes, but he had looked down in determination, not wanting to meet eye to eye with me. My heart was thumping loudly in my chest. Are you real..? Please be real... I reached out to him... To the hands that covered his ears. My lips parted as soon as my hands felt real, warm flesh.

I'm not hallucinating..?

I gasped. "Uziel...?" He's still alive..?

"No! Stay away from me!" He suddenly pushed me away, making me lose my balance. I whimpered as my hand landed on the floor to cushion my fall. Sharp pain registered and I hissed as I quickly pulled my hand to my lap. When I looked down at the floor, I noticed some shards scattered in one area.

What... happened here..? And what exactly is this place..? When I returned my gaze to Uziel he was staring at me in shock as if he couldn't believe what he did. 

"Y-Your h-hand... Your hand..." He muttered repeatedly as he fixed his gaze on the blood, dripping to my elbow. "You're hurt... I hurt you again. You'd better leave- Y-yes, you should leave..." He was pulling at his hair, stammering and looking at me in panic.

I blinked as I shook my head vigorously. "N-No...! I'm okay. It's just a few cuts... This is nothing, okay? I'm fine..." I cooed as I used my uninjured hand to hold one of his wrists, trying to get it to stop him from hurting his scalp so harshly.

This time, it was his turn to shake his head vigorously. "No... You're not fine... Get away from me." He tried to jerk out of my reach, looking fearful as he stared at my hand.

I frowned, a feeling of unease forming at the pit of my stomach. 

Something's wrong...

He's panicking... Shaking too much... Even stuttering... 

What happened to him...? This behavior isn't like him, at all...

How long was he like this..? How did he fall to this current state..?

I covered my mouth with the back of my hand. Oh god... I shook my head in disbelief as I stared at him, tears forming in my eyes.

"Leave... Disappear... Quickly before I hurt you again... Go-..."

My eyes stung. I inhaled sharply before gulping the lump in my throat, wanting to speak clearly and hoping my words would reach him.

"No..." I fell forward, hugging him tightly by the neck, not giving him any chance to continue his words. "No... I will not leave. I will not go. I'm going to stay. I will stay... okay?"

His body tensed at the sudden intimate contact. He didn't dare move. There was a moment of silence before he spoke, breaking my heart even more.

"You're not real... Not real..." He began to chant.

I hugged him tighter as tears flooded my eyes. "...I'm real... I am real. I'm sorry... I'm here now... I'm-hic-hic-s-sorry... I'm sorry..."

I didn't know when he eventually stopped whispering. I've only just realized it when he suddenly spoke with a semblance of clarity in his perception. All that was left was the sound of my sobbing until then.

"Why are you crying...? D-Don't cry..." Slowly, I felt his hands wrap themselves around my body. "Shh... You have nothing to be sorry about... Don't cry..." Even when he's become like this, he's still thinking about comforting me.

It made me feel even more guilty.

I nodded, crying heavily at the crook of his neck.

Little by little his body relaxed and he pulled me even closer, letting me sit between his legs.

"I'm sorry... I'm here now... I won't leave again... I will stay. I will stay... as long as you want."

"...R-really..?" He asked, his arms tightening around me.

"I promise..."

"B-but I hurt you...-"

I felt his arms loosening so I immediately opened my mouth to speak.

"I'm fine! It doesn't hurt anymore so... don't let me go. Don't ever let me go."

"Kind... You're so kind Leila. So sweet... I miss you so bad... Even if you're not real, I won't let you go. I... I won't hurt you anymore so won't you stay longer..? Stay a bit longer... Just like this..."

He sounded so desperate. So vulnerable... So, so miserable like an abandoned child left in the wilderness. His fingers were digging in my skin, but I didn't mind. I remained in his trembling arms, wishing I could take it all away from him. The things that he had to go through... It wasn't his fault. 

"I'm so tired... Leila."

I was unable to breathe for a second. 

His words terrified me, but I remained calm, acting as if it was just a passing remark. "...I understand... Close your eyes and sleep. When you open them again, I will be here... I will not go away. I'll stay by your side." I felt his body tense again, so I made the initiative to pat his head, hoping it would ease him.

"R-really? You promise..?"

"Yes. Really..." I will be here so you have to do your best to wake up everyday from now on... He seemed to relax right then as he hung his head on my shoulder with a long sigh. His breaths started to normalize and the beating of his heart drummed steadily in his chest as time passed by.

Later on, he drifted off to sleep. And that was when the door fully opened.

Sebastian donned a defensive stance as he came in, gasping. His eyes swept the room, stopping as soon as he met gazes with me.

"You-!"

I shook my head, gesturing to him that Uziel was sleeping. He looked shocked then confused. After which, a look of helplessness arose on his face.

I lowered my gaze right then. There must have been a few circumstances that happened... So the fake funeral and this... Whatever this was... Must have been done to try and help him... 

Uziel... Is it so painful that you don't care what these people might feel if you had left like that? 

"I will stay..."

***