13

Michael

Things began to look up.

Elijah had been to an appointment regarding his surgery, and all the kids had been super excited for him. They'd all baked cookies, including Poppy, and we all became closer.

It had officially been a week since Poppy came to live with us, and she was fitting in well. All the kids did their chores and homework, then I decided it was time to take Bailey and Poppy out to the cinema.

No more incidents had happened, and yet again she'd improved even more. Since she didn't have work or school yet, she played with the kids and even went in the garden with Elijah and kicked the football around. He'd taught her all the teams, and she was fascinated.

"Ready to go?" I asked, "What on earth?"

Bailey began giggling and Poppy looked up, her lips bright red from lipstick.

"I did her makeup,"

"We need to leave,"

Poppy simply sat there as Bailey wiped her face, not showing any emotion at all. Then, they put on their coats and shoes and we left.

"Are you okay sweetheart?" I asked Poppy, brushing my thumb on her cheek.

"Are you taking me back?"

"Nope, we are going to get some Mcdonalds and see a film,"

"Promise?"

"Promise,"

"Are we eating in there?" Bailey asked.

"No darling, we'll eat in the car,"

We buckled in and left, both of them chattering in the back. I went through the drive through and got us all food, then parked up and passed it around.

"Do I eat it on my lap?"

"Yeah, put your drink in the cup holder,"

I put Poppy's chips in her burger box and put the rubbish in the bag, Bailey already tucking in.

"Is it hot?"

"It shouldn't be too hot,"

She tried it and her eyes lit up, making me chuckle.

"Tasty?"

"Yes," Bailey said, "Very,"

The music played quietly as we ate, and then I collected the rubbish and threw it away. Then, we headed into town and parked up, all of us climbing out the car.

"So, tomorrow we are going to Ashton's house for his and Luke's birthday," I said, Poppy taking my hand as we walked through town. Bailey took my other one, her dress swaying in the wind.

"Will everyone be there?"

"Yeah, it'll be nice if you tried to speak to them a bit more. I know you've not had chance,"

"No,"

"Bailey will help you,"

"They intimidate me,"

"They're all softies really,"

We turned into the cinema and Bailey grinned widely, pulling us towards the sweets. She'd only been here a couple of times in her life- we never all came together as no one could decide on a film- so it was all still amazing to her.

We all got a pick and mix, as well as drinks, and I took them in to find our seats.

"Dad, why is it so dark?"