Chapter 9

I wake up in a dark unfamiliar place with a dull throbbing ache coming out of my right shoulder. I quickly realize that my hands are in chains and I study my surroundings further which leads me to the realization I'm also in a cage like an animal. I look down to see that I'm in just my black sports bra and the black leggings I had been wearing. That's when the memories of the previous night come back to me. I look at my shoulder and I see it's been bandaged. Why bother patching me up if you're just gonna chain me in place?

I try to get out of my chains by using my powers but it's weird, I can't seem to reach them. I try again and I can feel a small flicker but it quickly disappears.

"Don't bother, I've rendered your powers useless." I hear a familiar chilling voice. I raise my head to see Savage walking into the cage accompanied by two guards. I look to my left to see a woman in a lab coat who I quickly recognize as Valentina Vostok hurrying about. Did she come up with some kind of weird deactivating serum or something? "Don't look so shocked, all it took was a little bit of my blood." I almost gag at his words, Savage's blood is flowing through my veins? Ew.

"What do you want with me?" I ask the immortal man.

"Straight to the point I see." Savage approaches me slowly and I struggle to maintain my confident facade. "I want information." he says with his face too close for comfort.

"You're gonna have to be more specific." I retort.

"I want information on the burning man." Savage says.

"He burns." I say with a slight smirk however it's quickly wiped off my face when Savage punches me.

"How do I make one?" he asks and I think of my answer carefully. What if he has the others and he decides to move on to them because I say that I know nothing? So I stay silent. "Perhaps you didn't hear me-- how do I make a burning man?" I watch out of the corner of my eye as Vostok inches closer ready to take in any information. However, instead of answering-- I spit in his face.

He looks at me for a second wiping his face with his sleeve and then signals the two guards behind him.

"Perhaps you'll be more willing to talk after a bit of persuasion." he says and I gulp, as I watch the men approach me. Savage turns to me on his way out of the cage. "Last chance." he says and to which I respond--

"Go to hell." Which gets me a nasty right hook from one of the guards. I watch as the other pulls out a baton. He takes a swing at me whacking me in the ribs and I cry out in pain. He doesn't let up as he follows up with a blow to my left knee making me groan as my leg buckles beneath me. He continues to beat me with the baton, ignoring my desperate cries.

When the man is finished beating me to a pulp, him and the other guard leave me alone being held up by nothing but my chains. My whole body aches and I feel so tired. Then I remember something Oliver taught me a long time ago.

I grip onto the chains tightly with both hands, ignoring the throbbing pain throughout my body as I do so, beginning to hoist myself up. I grunt as I climb up the chains, forcing my burning muscles and aching body to bring itself almost to the roof. I force my legs up with a great deal of effort before letting myself fall. I wince as I hit the ground with heavy impact breaking the chains in the process. I limp my way around my cage trying to figure a way out, that is until I am interrupted by the entrance of the immortal psychopath himself.

"Now, where do you think you're going?" Savage asks coming into the cage and I take a wide swing at him but he blocks it effortlessly before kicking me to the ground. I let out a groan, a mixture of both pain and defeat as Savage approaches me. "Are you ready to talk?" I stay silent and he kicks me in the ribs causing me to let out a whimper. I force my head up to look into his cold brown eyes before saying,