Chapter 8

I follow Sara to the Cargo Bay as she tosses one of the metal staffs at Kendra with a simple,

"Heads up." Shockingly, Kendra catches the staff with two hands. I hop onto one of the stacks of metal crates ready to intervene when this inevitably takes a turn for the worse.

"What the hell is this?" Kendra asks perplexed.

"Warriors train everyday." Sara answers simply.

"Sorry, but I'm not in the mood." Kendra says with low spirits as she places her staff on a crate.

"Sorry is not gonna help that guard that you defaced at the Pentagon." Sara says and I groan, way to be blunt.

"Two months ago, I was a barista." Kendra starts standing up to face Sara. "I had no idea I had some psycho hawk goddess inside of me, and then I meet Carter, and he convinces me to let her out, and now that he's gone..." she pauses and I look at the hawk with sympathy. "I can't control it. So thanks for the offer, but I won't risk letting that monster out again." she states firmly handing the metal staff back to Sara on her way to the door.

"That monster inside you is not gonna go away. You have to learn how to control her." Sara calls after her.

"And how exactly do you expect me to do that?" Kendra asks and Sara tosses the staff back to her.

"Let's find out." Sara says with a smirk before attacking Kendra with the staff.

I watch anxiously as the two take their fight into the halls of the Waverider, ready to break it up when necessary. I wince as Kendra gets thrown to the ground by Sara, it sure brings back a lot of memories of getting flipped onto the floor by Sara or Oliver.

"Are we done here yet?" Kendra asks slowly getting back on her feet.

"If you want to harness your power, you need to learn to control your fear." Sara says, bringing back a nostalgic wave of memories.

~~~

"Abby, what the hell was that?" Oliver asked me. I had just disobeyed Oliver's order when he said to stay in position and wait to engage the target. The target happened to be a dealer who was giving heavy drugs to a buyer. That buyer was just a teenager.

So I thought I could stop the deal and capture the man. I may have succeeded in stopping the deal but my powers fritzed out the second I engaged the man in combat, resulting in the nasty slash on my arm.

"Were we really going to let him give drugs to a teenager?" I asked Oliver, shifting as Sara started stitching up my wound.

"Hold still." Sara ordered.

"We were gonna put a stop to future deals by catching him off guard. But thanks to you, we may never get another chance to catch him!" Oliver shouts at me and I look down at my feet.

"Oliver I'm sorry but I just couldn't--"

"You just couldn't follow orders!" he shouts and then he paces. "Your lack of control and recklessness cost us the mission."

"I'll do better next time." I spoke to myself more than the others.

"No, there won't be a next time. You're benched until further notice." Oliver said and stormed out of the room. Once Sara finished stitching up my wound I grabbed my coat heading for the door.

"Abby, wait." Sara called after me.

"For what? He's right I'm a liability, I can't control these stupid powers." I spoke harshly and I felt my eyes flash blue. Before I knew what was going on Sara tossed me a wooden staff.