"When do I not?"

She scoffed, shaking her head at me before shutting the door behind her. I heard her car pull out into the street, then drive away. I rolled onto my side and flipped on the TV on. It was so early that Macy's bigass parade hadn't even started yet. I sighed, resigning to a few hours of boredom until Anna got back and made me help her finish cooking, when my phone went off.

I looked down, seeing a text from an unfamiliar number. I unlocked my phone, opened messages, and read it.

Hey soph. It's ari.

My heart leapt familiarly as I took in those four simple words, but I was slightly confused. I hadn't given her my number, so I wondered where she'd gotten it from. I probably stared at the text for a good ten minutes before I realized that I needed to reply.

I'm sorry, you must have the wrong number.

I smirked, and went to close my phone when I saw her typing.

Shut up, now I know it's you.

I laughed. I could just imagine her sitting, wherever she lived, rolling her eyes at my stupid response.

Am I really that predictable?

Yes.

Should've known, I replied, then got up to make breakfast. By now I was fully awake and functioning, so I poured myself a bowl of Lucky Charms and plopped back down on the couch, it was almost nine by now, so I figured I'd eat, then go take a shower and come back and watch the parade. Even though I made fun of it, it was something of a tradition for me to watch it on Thanksgiving morning.

But this was the first time I'd done it outside of my dad's house. 

I shook myself back to the present. If there was anything I really needed to distance myself from right now, it was my past. Besides, it was my birthday; I figured I deserved to be memory free, at least for today.

I finished my cereal, then moved to go take my shower when I realized Ari had sent me another text.

Happy thanksgiving.

Thanks, I sent back, you too. Any plans?

Not really. Just dinner with my fam. Wbu?

I scrunched up my face slightly as I remembered who would be at my house later.

Just me, my sister and her boyfriend.

And his little brother, who just happens to me my locker neighbor.

What about your parents?

Shit. How was she so good at asking the questions I didn't want to answer?

They're out of town. I lied. Lying was easier than having to explain to her. Not that she would care even if I told her the truth.

No one ever really cared.

Oh that sucks.

Yeah.

I sighed, some part of me hoping that she might've questioned, might've asked me more. I felt bad for lying to her, but that's what I did best: close myself off and protect myself from getting hurt. When people knew a lot about you, that made you vulnerable. Who knew if she'd even care if I told her? Yet even with these thoughts, I felt a strange longing to open up to her. It felt like I had known her all my life.