vii. pilot

PETER QUICKLY RUSHED UP THE STAIRS

PETER QUICKLY RUSHED UP THE STAIRS. His pleading eyes bore into Louise's, gesturing for her to go back downstairs, so she did. She rushed downstairs with Peter following.

"What's happened?" She frantically spoke, her soft hands cradling George's head as she carefully inspected his wound to see it was still bleeding out. When Peter didn't respond, she turned to him. "What's happened, Peter?" Peter only nodded down to his friend with tearful eyes. Louise furrowed her brow. She saw that the boy was in no different state than what she left him in. "George, can you hear me, love?"

"Yes," he rasped out.

"What's happened, George?"

George took a wobbly breath then gulped, his adam's apple bobbing with his actions. "I can't see."

Louise's eyes teared up as she nodded gravely. "Ok, George. You'll be ok, alright? I'm here and so is Peter. We're gonna look after you. You ok with that, love?" George went to nod, but Louise stopped quickly, placing her hand gently on his head. "George, I don't want you moving your head. You need to keep your wound still or you'll stretch it and cause it to bleed more. So if someone comes to talk to you, try your best to answer verbally instead of nodding or shaking your head. Yeah? I don't want you hurting yourself."

"Ok, Louise," George rasped out, a small exhale of breath escaping his parted lips.

"Good lad," Louise smiled. "Right, ok. Peter, you go up and tell your father the current situation while I try and make George a bit more comfortable, yeah?"

Peter nodded and left the room. As Louise moved around the room, she narrated everything she did so George knew where she was and what she was doing so he didn't lose touch with reality. She moved towards the corner of the room, the eyes flicking back towards George ever few seconds to make sure he wasn't in pain. She picked up a blanket and threw the quilt over his body after informing him. Both heard the familiar roar of a few spitfires flying over the boat.

"Spitfires?" George asked groggily.

Louise smiled gently, as she tilted his head gently to the side so she could inspect his gash, before turning him back to a comfortable position. "That's right, George. You focus on those heroes. They're gonna save our country. Just like you are,"

"Louise, I'm not saving the country," Geroge muttered.

Louise tutted. "That's not true, George. From what you told me a while ago, you're the biggest hero this war has ever seen. A teenager who risked it all to pitch it when he wasn't asked to. That's the bravest thing a man could ever do."

George grinned. "You think?"

"I know," Louise chuckled. "Now, have some water. It'll help," she guided a glass of crisp cold water towards his lips. "You think you could get some rest for me, George? If you want, I'll wake you up every other hour so you have someone to talk to, yeah?"