Chapter 13 - Taylor's Transformation

After Ethel's death, Taylor's life went back to being a nightmare. The other people she lived with only tolerated her presence because she was with Ethel, so, after she was gone, there was nothing protecting Taylor.

They would steal the few things she owned and take away her food every time she had food there. Every single time. They all tortured her. For years.

1727

Taylor is twenty-two years old now and it has been ten years since Ethel died and she got all alone. Ten years of suffering and sadness.

She has nowhere else to go, but she's also tired of staying there and being tortured by the people around her. So, she puts her few blankets, clothes and other belongings into a bag, grabs it and starts walking away from the place that has been her house for the last eighteen years. House, yes, because it never felt like home. Even while Ethel was alive.

"Where are you going, beautiful?" Ackley asks as she's leaving.

Taylor ignores him and keeps walking, but Ackley hurries up the pace and holds her arm, making her stop.

"Are you deaf? I asked where you were going."

"I'm getting out of here."

"Oh, is this place not good enough for you, princess?" He tightens the grip around her arm.

"I just want to leave."

"Well, you see, I was paid to make sure you stay here."

"That was eighteen years ago. No one cares anymore."

"I do. I honor my deals."

"You got paid once, eighteen years ago, and you still care about that damn deal? I don't think that makes much sense. Unless you're still being paid now. Is that what's going on?"

"I see, you don't only have the looks, you also have a brain. And I'm sure you understand that I need you to stay here, because the longer you stay, the longer I get paid."

"I just want to get away from here, I don't want to find my family. Lindsay will never know that I'm not here anymore and you'll continue getting paid."

"You just want to get away from here? And where the hell will you go?" He pushes her against a wall near them. "You have nowhere else to go."

"Get away from me!" She tries to push him away, but Ackley is much stronger.

"I'm not going to let you get out of here. Ever."

Well, I have nothing to lose now, Taylor thinks. She moves her head forward, headbutting Ackley, which makes him move backwards and release Taylor's arm. With her free hand, Taylor pushes his head against the wall while he's still disoriented, leaving a bloodstain on it, and Ackley falls down unconscious.

Is he dead? Taylor doesn't really want to find out, so she just walks away, not feeling the slightest remorse in case she did kill him.

Taylor doesn't have a destination in mind, she just walks aimlessly. She finds herself getting downtown, where she never goes because it's a place for rich people.

There's a big park in the center of a plaza, full of trees, bushes and flowers. People are walking around in their fancy expensive clothes, smiling and laughing. Families, groups of friends, lovers. Everyone seems happy and Taylor feels more out of place than she ever felt. She's sure that if anyone noticed her presence, they would think she's out of place too. But she also knows that no one will notice her.