Chapter 23 - No One to Trust

Lauren leaves the room, followed by the twins, and finds her friends still waiting next to the staircase where she last saw them. They all straighten their backs, and the ones that had sat down get up, when they see the three women coming toward them.

"How did it go?" Robin asks Lauren. "Did you find out who's after us?"

"We did." Rachel replies. "But I'm sure Lauren will fill you in on our discoveries while you're on your way home." She tells them as the three of them reach the staircase and stop walking. "You really should get going, if you want to get there in time to warn Harold about your enemies. They will not stop until they kill Lauren, and I don't think they will be satisfied with just her death."

Lauren shudders with Rachel's comment, and turns around to face the sorcerers. "Thank you for you help. If there's anything we can do to repay you..."

"You can make sure none of you vampire trouble gets to us." Rita tells Lauren. "We helped you because of our family's history with your community, but we have nothing to do your troubles. And we do not want to enter your fight."

"Of course." Lauren replies. "We'll be on our way."

"Don't forget to give our best to Harold." Rita says, but her smile doesn't seem genuine.

"We will." Robin replies, and holds Lauren's arm. "Your help was very appreciated, and we won't bother you anymore." He's already pulling Lauren out of the house as he finishes speaking, and Alfred and Chelsea follow closely behind.

Once the four of them are outside the house, the door closes without either of the twins moving to touch it. Lauren shudders again, but this time she isn't the only one.

"I was starting to think you weren't ever going to come out of that room." Robin comments to Lauren. "You took forever."

"What did you think they were going to do to her? Kill her?" Alfred asks. "They knew there were three vampires waiting outside the room for them."

"They could take you." Lauren tells him.

Alfred laughs. "Yeah, right. I'm three hundred and eighteen years old, newbie."

"They could still take you. Do you think Harold would have sent us here if they weren't extremely powerful? They could probably kill you just by flicking their wrists. They could see Mr. Adams and a whole group of people just by touching my blood and having me explain who he is."

"Having visions doesn't make you strong enough to kill a vampire."

"Can you two stop behaving like children?" Chelsea asks Lauren and Alfred. "We need to get going, and you need to tell us what the sorcerers told you." She tells Lauren, and then turns to Alfred. "And they could probably take you."

"Look..." Alfred starts to protest, but Chelsea quickly moves her right arm, striking the side of his head and snapping his neck in the process. Lauren and Robin gasp in unison, and thank the fact that it's already night time and there's no one out on the street to see that.

"Now, Lauren, please tells us what the sorcerers found out." Chelsea asks.

"Oh, yeah, right... But what about him?" Lauren points to Alfred, who is passed out on the ground. "We're not just going to leave him here, are we?"

"Of course not. Robin will carry him until he wakes up and is able to walk." Chelsea says and, before Robin manages to protest – which he was about to do –, she adds: "If anyone happens to see us, it will look less weird if he's being carried by a guy than if he's being carried by either of us."

"Fine." Robin agrees and picks Alfred up from the ground, throws him over his right shoulder and nods to Chelsea. "All set. Can we go? I don't like this place."