Chapter 26 - Ghost

"We need to reinforce our security." Harold announces after his sister's dramatic exit. "Charlotte and James, I want the two of you to coordinate with the other Omegas in your section to start having extra fighting classes." He pauses for a couple seconds, and then continues. "Maybe Cooper was right. Maybe we're too unprepared to fight whoever comes our way, which means we need everyone inside this community to know how to fight."

"Or maybe we could just get rid of what's putting us in danger in the first place." Charlotte suggests. "If Alice and her friends aren't here anymore, those other vampires will have no reason to attack us."

"I told Alice that they would be welcome here, and they are." Harold replies. "We can't turn our back on our people when they need us the most."

"But you are turning your back on your people, Harold." Charlotte takes a couple steps forward, moving toward him. "All of the innocent people who live here and have nothing to do with Alice's enemies. Do they all deserve to die?"

"Of course not, but I..."

"Maybe Charlotte's right." Alice says.

"Alice, you can't mean that." Tobias tells her.

"It's the truth. This community would never be in danger if it wasn't for me and my people. We brought the danger to your doorstep, and maybe it's time we take it away."

"You're not leaving, Alice." Harold assures her.

"Brother, think about it." Edgar says. "If she's agreeing to it herself, and it would be better for everyone, maybe they should go."

"Except it wouldn't be better for everyone, Edgar. They would be outside, alone, fighting an enormous group of vampires they would have no way of beating." Harold replies, and turns to Alice. "You and your friends are part of this community, and we're all going to work together to fight your enemies. Our enemies." He looks at Charlotte. "Now, go get those groups ready. And James, get your group outside for patrol after you help Charlotte establish the new security."

"Yes, sir." James agrees, and starts walking away from the room.

Charlotte looks at Harold for a couple seconds, wanting to shout at him to throw her sister out of there because she's done nothing but betray them and put them in danger, but she doesn't say anything. She only shoots Alice a hateful look, and then follows James out of the room.

Once she steps outside, she sees the group that has gathered there and, right at the front, are Lauren, Taylor and Robin. She looks at the three of them almost with the same amount of hate that she looked at her sister with.

"We need to get back to work. Follow me." She tells them dryly, and keeps walking after James.

The three of them glance at each other, but follow Charlotte without a word. They heard everything she said inside and, just like Alice, they know that Charlotte is right. None of those people would be in danger if they hadn't gone there, and they don't deserve to get killed because of their hospitality.

A large group of people has gathered at the main cave – a group of people much larger than it has ever gathered for any fighting class – and they're all looking at Charlotte for instructions. James has gone out with his patrol group, and Charlotte is the one in charge of this first class. Lauren and Robin, who have been part of the fighting and patrol groups since they got to the community, and the others who practice with them are going to help Charlotte teach the rest of the people.

They start fighting among themselves to demonstrate the moves Charlotte is explaining, and the crowd watches attentively. Lauren is paired up with Robin, and Taylor is watching them while wishing she could be there too. But, since she wasn't originally tasked with security – and because Charlotte dislikes her more than the other two – she is only allowed to watch at this stage.