Secrets Hurt More Than Lies

Opal trudged back to Oscar, her head lowered in her hands as she wiped the remaining tears from her face, smudging mascara in the process. Oscar was still sitting in the centre of the room, legs crossed and eyes closed. He heard approaching footsteps and allowed curiosity to get the better of him.Opening his eyes, saw Opal standing in the doorway, clearly upset."Hey? What's happened?" He asked, standing up."Nothing. I'm fine. Perfectly fine." She replied, attempting to shrug her feelings.

Oscar didn't believe her and placed his hand on her shoulder, gesturing to the bench on the wall.

"You're clearly lying Opal. Seriously whatever is on your mind, just tell me. I won't judge."Opal sighed.
She wanted to leave but was fixed in place by an unknown force."When Michael and I were in the vault, I explained to him how my family died. See, magic is a banished art, and those who study are hunted by relentless creators known as Reapers. My family were slaughtered by the Reapers and only two of us were left. Me, and my brother." Opal explained."I didn't know you had a brother! What happened to him?""I don't know. Someone picked him up from the wreckage of our house and I never saw him again. Not until about a year ago. A Shaman, the one Michael's been asking for help from, showed me that my brother was okay." Opal began to break down, unable to hold back her tears much longer. "He was scared and angry all the time. And I couldn't do anything to help him. So I searched and searched but I was always too late. Until he found a place here not too long ago."Oscar looked confused, piecing the puzzle together. "Wait, that sounds like Michael's story... you don't mean-?"
Opal looked at Oscar and nodded. "Michael... Michael is my brother." She stood up and left Oscar to contemplate what he had discovered before locking herself in her room and beginning to cry.Oscar found Opal's room in the ever-growing corridors, not before entering countless wrong rooms, however. He knocked, hoping Opal would let him in."Hey, Opal? I just want to talk.""I don't have anything to say to you.""Then listen. I'm guessing Michael doesn't know about any of this. I don't even know what to make of this. I've known you for a couple of years now and I never left your side. Because you were family to me. You are his too. By blood and by friends. Whenever you're ready Opal, let me in and we can talk properly. If he's so angry all the time, then god knows what you're feeling."Oscar slid his back down the door, sitting on the ground before hearing the click of a lock and the door slowly open."I'm ready." Opal calmly told, gesturing for Oscar to enter.