A Creed Reborn

Michael and Opal stare at the map of the town curiously, attempting to figure out where the entrance to the crypts would be.

"So, here's what I'm thinking, " Opal began, "if we split up and take different sections of the circle, we stand a much higher chance of finding what we are looking for!"

"How exactly would we find it? We don't exactly know what we are looking for." Michael answered, knowing full well that he was right.

"Well, we know that it's likely to be an entrance leading underground, so start by looking for sewer entrances."

Michael nodded and proceeded to take a picture of the map on his phone, "If I take this half, near the school, you take that one - covering the bank and the market."

Both nodding in agreement, they set off out, searching for the entrance they had wished upon.

Michael decided to start near what once was his home and worked his way to the school. Placing his skateboard on the ground, Michael began to push off in search of anything that could be perceived as an entrance to the crypts.

Meanwhile

"39 degrees Celsius. It's not getting much better." Oscar's mum explained to Oscar, placing the thermometer back in its case. "it's likely to be a nasty cold. I'll bring you up some medicine for the fever, but you need to get some sleep."

Lyla began to wail from her cot - "right before I feed your sister."

When Oscar's mum left the room, he stood up and walked to the mirror. Turning around and taking his shirt off, he revealed growing green veins, creeping up his body like the ivy on the house. He knew it was getting much worse than before, but he couldn't just simply walk into a doctor's office and ask for some antibiotics or something. They'd ask questions. Questions, that not even he knew the answers to.

Oscar began to hear footsteps climbing up the stairs - with this, he grabbed his shirt, threw it back on and jumped back into bed.

"Here, I knew I had some of this in the cupboard!" Oscar's mum looked at him with sorrow in her eyes while she poured a thick liquid onto a spoon. After giving the medicine to Oscar, she left him to sleep and recover.

"Just remember, shout if you need me. I'm off of work so I can look after you today." She explained and left the room.

Just as Oscar began to settle, he could feel his phone vibrating, Michael was calling. Rather than answer the call and make him worry, Oscar decided to ignore it and focus on sleep.

Huh. That's odd. Michael thought, perching himself on top of an old church spire. He had been taught the art of Parkour briefly during his time with Opal. She told him it would give him an advantage in his environment and combat. Oscar always answers his phone. No matter who it is. Michael could sense something was wrong but knew he had to focus on finding the entrance.

Casting his view upon the town from this new angle, he noticed something, strange. Pulling out his phone, he proceeded to call Opal.

"What's up?" Opal asked.

"Hey, I think I might've found something, buts it's in your section. I don't know how we haven't seen this before, but there's a huge hill just behind the cliff-face, and there seems to be some sort of church. It looks run down."

"A church? I've never heard of something like that. Where are you?"

"I'm on top of the church in the town. Do you think it's the place?"

"It's worth a shot. Meet you over there?"

"I'll race you!" Michael hung up the phone and began to climb down the spire, hastily making his way towards the newly found church on the hill.

Oscar woke up in a pool of sweat, his sheets soaked through to the mattress. He laid for a moment, contemplating whether he should take another look.

Standing up, squelching the bed as he did, he stood up once again and proceeded to see how the veins have grown. Taking off his shirt, he looked once again in the mirror. It had begun to creep its way onto his neck, the tips extending like fingers on a hand; he raised his own and reached towards the vein. And touched it.

Suddenly he remembered everything. He remembered the Langsuyar breaking into Lyla's room, his attempt to protect her! The Langsuyar scratching his face, Michael and Opal chasing after it! Trying to piece together the new memories made his head hurt; so much that he passed out, leaving his mother to find him in a coma-like state, shortly after.

"Haha, I won!!" Opal joyously mocked.

"Only by a second!" Michael replied, "So do you think this could be the place?"

The building was huge, extending across for what seemed like miles; the brickwork was ancient, with the bricks fading green. The windows were cracked, and the door rotted.

Opal extended her hand and pushed the door open, causing it to collapse on the floor, sending a wave of wind gushing through the empty halls.

"This can't be the place. There isn't anything here!" Michael exclaimed. Opal didn't listen. She began looking at the bookshelves littered across the halls.

"This is most definitely the place Michael. It doesn't look like much, but this is the place." Opal let out a sigh of relief as if she had finally reached the end goal of her life. Reaching into her bag, she pulled out a glowing white crystal formed in the shape of a sphere.

"This, Apprentice, is known as Odin's Eye. This place is the Magician's Creed. The base of your ancestors. This 'Eye of Odin' will uncloak this building and reveal its true colours to anything or anyone magic. This is all a cover to hide the Magician's secrets during the Great War. If we do this, Michael, who knows what monsters will come after us."

Michael didn't say a word, but instead took her hand in his and looked into her eyes. Opal knew he was ready and proceeded to take a stick of chalk out of her bag, drawing a circle on the floor, followed by different symbols after one another. Placing the Eye of Odin in the centre of the ring, Opal sat on the floor and told Michael to do the same.

"We are going to conduct an ancient spell, one that hasn't been done for hundreds of years. I cannot guarantee it will work, but you have the power of a Master Magician at your fingertips. We should be able to conduct this."

Taking Michael's hand in her own, she began to chant.

These words were neither English nor Latin like many would presume but were instead the ancient language of the Mystics and the High Lord. An ancient language used by Angels and demons alike.

The Eye of Odin began to light up, rising as it did so, spinning in the air. A blinding white light began to emit from the crystal, spreading and filling each room and every crack within the walls of stone, changing the colour from what once was a green, to white. Repairing all the windows, replacing them with stained glass. Filling every hall with carpets, every staircase mended.

What was most impressive was the row of stone seats that began to form from the rubble. Five places, each one representing a different section of the Creed.

The bookshelves began to fill with ancient Grimoires and potions books; empty rooms transformed into classrooms, training rooms, bedrooms and many more as Michael would soon discover.

Opal was right. Anything both living and dead that holds any sort of magical abilities would be able to and can still to this day see that the Creed was reborn once more. And that they should be scared.

With the incantation complete, Michael and Opal rose, admiring what the building had become. Both were speechless, frozen in place without any desire to move.

Soon after, they looked at each other, staring intensely into one another's eyes and embraced. The first part of their mission was achieved; they had begun the process to rebuild the Creed back to what it once was! Now all that was left was to find some students. Luckily for them, they had the best place to begin.