The New Apprentice

"I don't understand." Oscar told, his voice clouded with confusion, "So you and Michael are Magicians and have been fighting creatures and protecting people?"

"Pretty much Oscar. I know it's difficult to believe, but this is all real. Magic, werewolves, demons and angels. It's all real." Opal explained.

Oscar shifted his gaze to Michael, "Were you ever going to tell me? If I hadn't remembered about that creature?" Michael could hear the sadness in his voice.

"We don't know. People shouldn't know about this world. Maybe you're magic, maybe you're not. We. I didn't want to risk your life if you weren't able to protect yourself." Michael explained, noticing the hurt in Oscar's eyes.

"You don't think I could handle myself?" Oscar asked, unsure if he wanted to hear the answer."These creatures are dangerous. You saw what a simple scratch could do. If it wasn't for us, you'd be dead." Opal criticised."He hasn't had any training Opal!" Michael shouted, "Maybe if we gave him a chance, he might surprise us."Opal went silent, thinking of a test that she could put him through to show Oscar's abilities. "Well, the only test we know works at the moment is if you can see the hideout. It's only visible to the magic eye.""I'm ready," Oscar claimed, getting up out of bed."We aren't just going to take you to the hideout Oscar. You need to find it for yourself. It'll be obvious if you can see it. You can't exactly miss it anymore." Michael explained. "Look, man, walk with me to the church. You need to prove yourself worthy to the cause.""I'll meet you there actually. It will give me a chance to process this all. Plus, I need to change. I've been stuck in these clothes for a while now."

With all three agreeing, Michael and Opal left Oscar to get ready and waited for him at the church.

"What do we do if he can't see the hideout? Like as in he isn't magic at all?" Opal asked."I'm not sure. But before we think about that side of things, let's just give him a chance." Michael replied.

It wasn't long before Oscar joined Michael and Opal.

"So why are we here? Is there some secret wall that takes us below the church, or are you going to summon a portal to the hideout?" Oscar asked excitedly, almost jumping up and down."We aren't going to do anything. You are going to climb to the top of this tower and look for anything that stands out. You'll see what we are looking for." Michael explained."How am I supposed to climb? There's no ladder or anything!" Oscar looked at Opal while saying this, expecting some sort of solution to the problem."That's for you to figure out. Part of the test is showing commitment to the Creed. Climb this tower, and show you're not scared. There's gonna be a lot of things worse than heights." Opal explained.Oscar looked at the wall and found small crevasses that he could put his feet into. Proceeding to climb the tower using this method, he could feel his palms getting sweaty, slipping at times off of the stone works. When Oscar reaches the top, he felt relief rush over his body. Looking at the town from this height made Oscar feel powerful. As if he towered over every single resident. Oscar started to scan the area, starting close to him. Not sure what he was looking for, Oscar took in every detail. From the flashing neon sign of the coffee shop to the homeless man begging outside the supermarket. Oscar had scanned the town three times over and still found nothing.

Ready to give up, Oscar felt disappointed with himself - he had let himself down. Just as Oscar was about to climb down, he realised he never looked further than the town. Maybe that's the point! Perhaps the hideout is hidden where no one would think to look! In plain sight, but out of the way! Oscar thought; with this newfound theory, Oscar led against the spire and shifted his gaze out towards the hills. Scanning the tops of the hills and cliffs, he found something strange. Unsure if this was what he was meant to discover, Oscar called out to Michael and Opal, "Umm, guys, I think I found it!"

"Describe it to us!" Opal called back."Well, I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but on the hill behind the cliff face, there's some sort of church-like building. It looks new!""Come back down, Oscar!" Michael called. Oscar did as he was told."Did I do it? Did I prove myself?" Oscar asked when he reached the bottom."We will see. Take us to the building you saw." Opal commanded - Oscar took Opal and Michael to the building that he had assumed could be their hideout.Michael and Opal looked at each other, trying to bury a smile with a serious look."Is this the place?" Michael asked, knowing full well that Oscar had proved him right."Yeah! This is the place! I looked out of the town and saw this! It used to be run down and old! Now it looks like it's a whole new building!" Oscar explained, sure that he was right."Well Oscar, welcome to the Creed!" Opal screamed, running to hug him - Michael joined in too.

Oscar ran to the doors and tried to push them open, but it was as if the doors had weighed a ton! Admitting defeat, Oscar retreated and asked how they would get in.

"Well, this is the first time we've tried to get in since we uncovered this place to the magical world. Truth be told, I don't know." Opal muttered, hiding her face from the team."Well, we're Magicians. Surely between the three of us, we can figure something out. Is there an unlocking spell?" Michael asked."Yeah there is, but I don't know that spell. There's still a few I was never taught." Opal replied."What about another entrance?" Oscar questioned." That's not a bad idea. It's likely the Magicians had a secret way to mislead their enemies. Good thinking! Oscar and I will have a look around the area, and see if you can get this door open." Opal commanded, leading Oscar away by the hand.Michael moved toward the door, running his hand across the dark wood. He tried to push it, but unsurprisingly to no avail.

'If this place is magic, surely using magic could work. Now, it can't be that difficult to unlock as Apprentices would've been able to enter and leave - maybe we need to think back to basics' Michael thought. With this theory in mind, Michael sat on the floor and crossed his legs; he filled his mind with the door, visualising the door opening.

Until it did. The door slowly creaked open, allowing access.Pulling out his phone, he called Opal:"I did it! I got it open!" Michael began, "You've got to think like an apprentice. Visualise the door open, and it opens!""Of course! Basic visual spell! Easy for newbies to enter! We're on our way back."Opal turned to Oscar when the door opened."This Oscar is the hideout.""We should come up with a better name for this place! How about Mergsi? It sounds mystical." Oscar offered."Mergsi? I like it. Well Oscar, welcome to Mergsi."