Chapter XXII: Join us or fight us.

"Are you saying that you're a pyrokinetic?" Dex asked without a hint of unease in his voice, unlike the others who were all scornful in their accusations. Marrela nodded confidently, glancing uneasily at Sophie.

"She saved our lives, okay!" Sophie burst out angrily when the others continued looking at her scornfully.

"But, she's a pyrokinetic..." Tam mumbled, though Sophie and Marrela could both clearly hear him and they both gave him disgusted looks.

"And you're a twin. She's no worse than you or Linh, so maybe you lot should just LEAVE HER ALONE IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING NICE TO SAY!" Dex, Keefe and Tam all looked slightly scared after her outburst, but Biana was grinning happily.

"I didn't know you could shout like that," murmured Marrela once all of the boys had gone.

"Nor did I," admitted Sophie. "I was just... So tired of them treating you like garbage because of something you couldn't control." Biana smiled from her corner. "What?"

"Nothing," said Biana quietly. "It's just that's what makes you so special. Anyone else would've just sat by and watched Marrella (See - got it right for the 0.00000000000001% of the time) get insulted and discriminated, but you did something about it."

"It was only something small," argued Sophie. "I'm sure someone else's done it - it doesn't matter."

"Actually," argued Marrela in a small voice, staring at the floor. "No-one's ever done that for me. It matters to me."

"I wouldn't have been able to stand up for her like you did," added Biana, more confidently and moving out of her corner. "I guess that's why you're the Moonlark." For once the name didn't make Sophie feel uncomfortable, but it still didn't mean she liked it. At that point, the conversation seemed to trail off, ending with Biana and Marrela going to join the boys. 

Keefe wandered over to Sophie when he noticed her sitting on the ground. He gave her shoulder a quick squeeze, then came to sit down next to her. Sophie reached for his hand, pulling it back hastily when he flinched. 

"I'm sorry," Sophie hastily said. "Did I..." Keefe shook his head immediately.

"It's just... Complicated." He tried to explain, and Sophie couldn't help but agree.

"By this point it's far more than complicated." This time, when Sophie reached for his hand, he didn't let go, instead cradling it even more. 

Someone coughed behind them. Sophie quickly let go and turned around, blushing furiously. Marrela was standing with her hands on her hips, and smirking.

"There seems to be a lot of this here." Sophie was about to argue, despite it on the most part being true, before Marrela cut her off. "I'd like to join you lot. The alliance I mean. Wylie said I could." To be honest, Sophie'd forgotten about Wylie, which probably made her a really bad team leader. When had she become team leader? 

Wylie rolled his eyes. "While you've been busy doing whatever you're doing - don't," he warned when Keefe opened his mouth to explain. Sophie was glad that Wylie wasn't getting to know about her private love life. Love life. Yikes! Since when did she... It wasn't worth debating.

"Anyway," said Marrela, "Sophie offered to let me join the alliance a while back..." Marrela paused as all eyes turned to her. Sophie stared down at the ground, feeling uncomfortable. She was sure everyone was glaring at her, but when she looked up, most of them were looking at her in admiration. Dex was looking at Marrela, and Tam at Biana, but other than that they were... Well, as aforementioned.

"So now she is," Wylie finished bluntly, dragging the attention away from Sophie. He could tell she felt uncomfortable, and for that Sophie was grateful. Wylie ignored her, and began talking about other things. For the large part, Sophie ignored it, but something he said caught her attention.

"We need to kill the ogre." Sophie shook her head.

"No we don't. She'll kill at least one of us." Dex argued, and Sophie privately agreed. Someone was bound to die.

"Let me take her," said Keefe obnoxiously. "I've always wanted to fight an ogre," he added jokingly.

"You?" Tam practically snorted. "You can hardly take on a wombat, let alone an ogre!"

"Wanna bet Tammy boy?" Sophie sighed and Biana quickly followed with a shaking of her head. Wylie glared at the pair - he seemed to enjoy glaring, but at least it wasn't at Sophie this time; Dex was snorting with laughter. Overall, it seemed everyone was finding this scene amusing. Sophie could tell from the beginning that Tam and Keefe were so alike, that it would probably come to this.

"Umm, guys," interrupted Biana. "No-one's going to take on any ogres by themselves."

"Yes I am!" Cried out Wylie, Keefe, Tam and Sophie simultaneously, obviously disagreeing with Biana. Dex sighed, and stood up from his position on the floor, brushing off the bits of dirt.

"Someone's going to get hurt," said Dex, pausing so that the others could glare at him. "I still think we should do it." Biana stared at him like he was mad, but Marrela just grinned. Then the familiar anthem began to play across the force-field surrounding the arena; no-one had realised how dark it was getting.

Many faces flashed across the projection, each with their district number in bold letters underneath. Sophie recognised one of them as Fintan, and felt sick recalling the smell of burning flesh. Technically, a pyrokinetic should've survived, but Marrela had rattled off some complicated explanation about the type of fire and the way it burned or something similar.

Sophie glanced at Wylie, Keefe and Tam, all sharing the same determined face she was sure she was wearing.

"Alright then," she said confidently. "I guess it's time to go ogre hunting."

AN

So, that was chapter 22. 22!!!! What!?!?! I also have 2K reads. Only 2 AMAZING THOUSAND READS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like, WHAT?!?!?!?! I honestly can't believe how successful this story has been. It's also my birthday in June!! My life is so great (ignoring Covid-19). Thank you - all of you. 6 chapters left!! 

This chapter's dedicated to @GallaxyGirl200 for being awesome. Yeah, you're amazing. Thanks! I appreciate it! I feel like we've reached the climax with the writing so far, but I'm hoping that the penultimate chapter will be the best. Guess what that chapter's about. And guess who dies in the next chapter. Sorry folks, but Ro has to go. Keep in mind that they don't know her, and I think they'll get to know her better in the next chapter. Before her *cough cough* untimely demise.

Thanks, do I have any more to say? No, not really. Bye, see you on Wednesday for ogre-hunting action!!!!