Chapter XII: Mourning Flori

Sophie was frozen. She couldn't move even if she wanted to. Not that she thought she would ever move, think or breathe after what had happened. Anguished tears fell down her cheeks in a sloppy mess, and her vision blurred. For a second, Sophie could see a young, blissful gnome smiling happily as if nothing was wrong with the world; everything was wrong now though. Flori had died because of her. Words flickered through her mind:

How many people have to die for the Moonlark to live?

It was a terrifying question that Sophie couldn't answer - but it was safe to assume it was millions. Possibly billions. Sophie collapsed to the floor in a sodden mess, bending over the fallen gnome in despair: how many more? Her friends stayed back, seeming to know that she needed space. Flori smiled a green-toothed smile, but it didn't make Sophie feel any better. In fact, it made her feel a whole lot worse. Flori said something to her, but her voice was drowned out by the sorrow and anger and guilt. Yeah, a load of guilt. Sophie felt like she was drowning, no. Not drowning; burning. The world was ablaze with a fire burning everything, even Sophie. 

No-one saw Flori take her last breath. Her head lolled back into Sophie's arms, limp and lifeless. Sophie hugged her body tightly, gently rocking back and forth, back and forth. Fitz lightly tapped her on the shoulder.

"Sophie, we... Should go," he said, his voice calm but provoking Sophie's hidden anger from the deaths.

"NO WE SHOULDN'T!" she shouted, not caring who heard. "FLORI DIED FOR ME, UNDERSTAND? NOW YOU'RE HERE TALKING ABOUT LEAVING HER, THEN GET OUT!" She finished, a trembling finger pointing towards the afternoon sun, her voice quavering. Sophie assumed he and the others left some time after, leaving her and Amy alone, mourning their losses. Sophie looked at Amy, noticing her doing something similar then stood up. She silently laid Flori's body upon the floor and collected flowers of all kinds. Lilies, roses, any flower that came near was plucked from the ground and laid next to Flori's body. 

Hours later, Sophie was finally done. It was sunset, and when the light turned the world orange, for just a split-second, Flori rose. The petals fell off her body, as she deteriorated into the light. By nightfall, she was gone. John was buried under the earth, a wooden stick marking the spot. Amy came over and reached for her hand. Sophie gladly took it, as the two sisters stared into the sunset, feeling more like family than ever.

Sophie smiled. Yes, Flori was dead. But maybe the world wasn't ending after all. 

AN

Yes, I know this is a really short chapter, but I felt that Flori deserved her own chapter. If I'd done it longer, it would've taken the focus off Flori and more on what Sophie and the gang did next. I promise, this isn't the end of Flori. Flori will return. I sadly feel that this needed to happen for the story to progress. Count this as a mini-chapter.

I'm sure you all see this resemblance to Rue's death, and yes, I did try to make it similar. This is a pivotal point for Sophie, as she turns down darker paths. You saw last chapter that Sophie tried (and failed) to stop Amy committing murder. Now Sophie is darker, and will kill people from now on. Sophie has taken darker turns, but I will not lose sight of who Sophie is as a character. She will always stay true to kindness and pacifism, but will become more reckless and dangerous. She will not lose sight.

I promise you, I was crying last night over killing Flori. I'm sorry, but thanks for sticking with me on this emotional journey. All my other stories seem to have stopped for this one. I don't know what to write from here on outwards though, so I might not update for a while, or who knows? I may surprise myself and update tomorrow (in my dreams). Any plot ideas write in the comments. Thanks.