Chapter XIX: Who is she?

Sophie groaned, feeling exhausted and lacking the energy to pull herself up. Nevertheless, she somehow managed to get up, despite this exhaustion. The exhaustion quickly vanished as she saw a face emerge into view the second she sat up. She scrambled to stand up and brush herself off, flushing with embarrassment as a pair of harsh eyes turned to her. Everyone else was looking at her sympathetically, and Sophie looked at them confused. She wanted to transmit something to them, but she was worried she'd still be too drained.

Sophie glanced about, noting that she'd been moved at some point, but she had no idea when that had happened. She was undoubtedly delaying the inevitable - if Wylie was here, he was bound to start picking holes in everything she did. Sophie didn't know why Wylie hated her so much, but there was sure to be a reason.

Something else Sophie quickly noticed, was that the goblin wasn't there, the one that was with Wylie before. Sophie was puzzled, but didn't say anything until - he could've just wandered off. Biana was the first to notice she was awake, squealing and hugging her so tightly it made her struggle for air a bit. Sophie hugged Biana back gently, trying to gently pull away, because she knew Wylie was wheeling on her angrily.

Wham! Sophie turned around, immediately feeling impact on her face and hearing a cracking sound. Everyone simultaneously winced except Wylie, who had a smug grimace on his face and was clenching and unclenching his fist. Again, he punched her, blood streaming down Sophie's face from her nose, as she tried to duck the next blow. Keefe attempted to restrain Wylie, holding his hands back as he wriggled and writhed to get Sophie. Biana was the next to join in, pulling at him and pushing him to the ground. For such a looks-obsessed girl, thought Sophie, Biana certainly knew how to fight.

Tam glanced about, not joining in but looking sympathetically at Sophie. Dex snorted, and pushed Wylie to the ground using telekinesis, as he tried and failed to get up.

"You don't understand!" he shouted from his position on the ground. "It's all her fault!" Dex snorted and kicked him, as Sophie felt a guilty joy at seeing him writhe. Keefe glanced at her nervously, as if he could somehow read her soul. He probably could - he was an empath after all.

"Why's it her fault?" demanded Dex. "What have you got against her?" Sophie could tell Dex was enjoying this, like a police interrogator from one of the movies she used to watch as a kid. Wylie shook his head.

"Tell us," Biana said cockily, joining in the fun. Sophie shook her head, resisting laughing at her friends' sillyness, despite them being in likely the most danger they'd ever been in. Wylie gritted his teeth, still trying to hurt her. Sophie tilted her head as she tried to read him and understand what he meant. Unless it had something to do with...

"Oh. My. God." Everything clicked into place with Wylie; why he hated her so much at least.

"Figured it out then Sophie?" Wylie spat at her, anger and resentment obvious in his voice. "Or should I call you by your proper name?" Sophie glared at him, refusing to reply to his snide insult. She slowly shook her head, subtly so that no-one would notice but him, and he obviously saw it. 

"What does he mean Sophie?" Dex said cautiously, fiddling with a knife Sophie only just realised he was holding.

"Put the knife down Dex,"

"Tell us what he means!" Keefe was looking at her worriedly, and Tam undecidedly. Biana looked determined - and what terrified Sophie was that she didn't know what that meant for her. Wylie looked at her smugly, and Sophie knew that he wouldn't hesitate to tell them.

"Shall I tell them or will you?" Wylie sneered. "Fine," he said when she didn't answer. "She's the Moonlark. I'm sure you don't know what that means, but I'm happy to enlighten you."

"Sophie, what does that mean?" Keefe said quietly to her, holding her hand gently. Sophie gladly took it, and opened her mouth to reply, before being cut off by Wylie.

"She's a freak. That's what it means. She's a genetic anomaly created by an illegal organisation designed to do one thing." He replied angrily, without a hint of the previous smugness.

"What's that then?" retorted Biana, standing firmly at Sophie's side and taking her other hand. Sophie clung onto them like a lifeline, watching as Wylie talked about her in a way that reminded her of what herself was like when she talked about the Neverseen. 

"To destroy." Dex glanced at Tam uneasily, before shakily asking him something Sophie didn't expect.

"How do we know that's her?" Wylie snorted.

"Seriously? The girl with freakishly strong abilities raised by humans - Who else could it be?"

"How do we know it's even real?" Biana replied scornfully, giving Sophie's hand a reassuring squeeze. Somehow it made her feel better, though that was probably the fact that her friends hadn't abandoned her. Or, at least one friend hadn't abandoned her - Keefe was so much more than a friend.

"We don't," replied Keefe when Wylie didn't reply. "And I don't know about you two," Keefe added, pointing at Dex and Tam. "But we're going. Don't follow us." With that, Keefe and Biana marched off, Sophie in tow.

"Fine!" Wylie shouted after them resentfully. "I'll join your stupid alliance if you let me go! And only because you lot have a better chance of winning!" Dex and Tam walked off, leaving Wylie behind. Wylie gasped for air, as they let down their telekinetic bonds, as he scrambled up and followed them.

"I'm going to win," he muttered to himself, staring at the ground. "If it's her fault his mind broke, when she dies it should be fixed, right?" Dex looked back scornfully, and Tam doubtfully. Wylie smiled grimly. If that was had to be done to fix his dad, then so be it.

AN

Again, another chapter with a bit more action, but still mainly talk. Umm... Yeah. Wylie isn't that likable now, I'll grant you that, but he'll become better throughout the series. Chapter 19 - WOW!!!! 7 chapters to go.

I'm sorry that I skipped the last 3 updates (it is 3, isn't it?), and I wish I could tell you that I tried as hard as I could or that something happened to stop me updating, but the truth is I just wasn't very inspired. I re-wrote the chapter at one point, because it wasn't very good. Hopefully the end result is something fairly good, but it was never going to be amazing. Besides, the views have been going down with each chapter, and I feel like my writing's diluting in quality. I'm not sure how good it will be, but I'll do my best. 

I also think that the quality of the writing is more important than the frequency of the updates, and I wanted more time on this chapter. The last real action was probably 5 chapters ago, so I'll try add in some more. I am trying my best, but I honestly wasn't that excited writing this chapter, and I think it shows. Honestly, I think this is one of the dud chapters that I'll re-write at some point. Or maybe I'll just leave cause' I'm too lazy to fix it. Whatever.

Anyway... On a happier note, I'm dedicating this chapter to @alicat091609 for basically spamming my inbox. In a good way, don't worry :) Umm... Yeah, that's it really. They posted a lot of really nice comments that made my day, and I've no idea which chapters they voted on because I lost count. It's people like you who I right the story for. And I write the story for me. Obviously :)

Anyway, that's it. Bye!!!!!!!